Sat, 08 Feb 2014 18:45:00 GMT | By Bernama

BRIM 3.0 to be launched February 22, says Najib

The prime minister said, at the parliamentary and state legislative assembly level, the BR1M distribution would be held this February 23.

Datuk Seri Najib Razak today announced that the national level launch of the 1Malaysia People's Aid (BR1M) 3.0 will be held this February 22.

The aid disbursement was as promised in the Barisan Nasional (BN) manifesto in which the amount would be raised from time to time up to RM1,200 for a period of seven years, he said when speaking at the Wisma Umno Bukit Gantang ground-breaking ceremony in Taiping today.

Under the 2014 Budget which was announced by Najib in October last year, any household with a monthly income of RM3,000 and below is qualified to receive BR1M of RM650 and i-BR1M takaful contribution of RM50.

In reducing the people's burden, Najib said, apart from BR1M disbursement, the government also took the initiative to build the farmers' market, 1Malaysia People's Shop and strict enforcement on the prices of goods.

"At present the prices of goods have stabilised. This is the ups and downs of the economy but, at any rate, we must continue to back the people, which must be our priority.

"We do not want to burden the people, we only channelled the bulk of the subsidy to targeted subsidy and I believe it is the best method and we are now thinking of new steps which will be announced very soon," he said.

"We are aware and as the prime minister and Umno president, of course, I am very sensitive in this matter because Umno is the party which we must defend as the ruling party that is competent on a continuous basis," he said.

He said it was unreasonable for certain quarters to blame the government in relation to the price hike of goods given that it was caused by several factors that could not be avoided.

10Comments
Feb 8, 2014 11:05PM

As Prime Minister you must be aware that the country cannot afford this!

You say subsidy rationaliazation at the same time you give out money, I no longer see the logic.

In the last election, a day before election I receive an SMS in Chinese (a language I do not read) promising RM1200 for the BRIM if BN wins.

That was the moment I decided to vote for the opposition after almost a lifetime of support for BN.

I realise BN is not a responsible political party but to win the election at all costs regardless of consequences

Feb 9, 2014 2:58AM
What? You think rm1200 is going to support somebody's expenses for the whole year?
With the cost of things so high, you think this will get them through the whole year?
Try reducing the cost of things, that might serve better.
Governments are there to ensure that items of necessities are affordable to the people not to just spoon feed people with little bits of cash now and then.
This does not help the e****my.
Only fools and idiots would support such a move.
Feb 9, 2014 5:23AM

kacau daun,

Perhaps you do not know of many cases where thr recipient under declares their income and by default qualifies for it.

There is not one case where a false declaration was prosecuted.

Looks like I will get to have free lunch again from my firends at RM650 , maybe a lobster for each of us?

Feb 9, 2014 9:17AM
As what famous Japanese saying goes, "  Give a man a fish; he will live for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will live forever." The  BRIM system is not an effective form of help.
Feb 9, 2014 8:36AM
yes najib, go ahead, take taxes from that tsunami you hate so much and give to your lazy ignorant supporters, all in your name!
Feb 9, 2014 7:21AM
My salary is RM 5000.00 + but my total debt is more than RM 200,000.00. More than half my salary is used to pay the debt on monthly payment. My take home income is less than RM 3000.00 per month. I am sole breadwinner with 6 persons to support in my family.Why should i not entitle the BRIM compare to single earning less than RM3000.00 without responsibility or married couples without children?
Feb 9, 2014 1:09AM
Malaysian818,

There is a big difference between General Subsidies like those on petrol which benefit even the wealthy, tourists & foreign workers who don't deserve them.  Whereas BR1M and similar Subsidies are targeted subsidies given to those needy & poor citizens adversely affected by inflation.  The latter is acceptable and appropriate for any responsible government to do to assist the citizens.