Afghan girl, 10, in attempted suicide attack
Afghan National Policemen (ANP) reload their weapons as they attend a shooting course at Camp Leatherneck on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah in Helmand Province on February 17, 2010
The girl appeared at press conference in Lashkar Gah, capital of the southern province of Helmand, where she told how her brother had forced her to wear the vest and ordered her to detonate herself at a police checkpoint.
"I was tired of my stepmother. My brother told me to wear the black vest, go to the police checkpoint and press the button," she told reporters.
"I went past a river and decided to drop the vest. My brother fled and police arrested me."
Amid conflicting accounts of the incident, some officials said she had been wearing the vest when she was arrested, while others said no vest had been recovered.
The Tolo TV news channel said the girl, named as Spozhmai, was unable to operate the button to detonate the explosives.
The interior ministry said that her brother was a Taliban commander who coerced her into putting on the vest and walking towards the police post in Khanashin district in the southern heartlands of the insurgency.
Taliban militants, who have been fighting against the US-backed government since they were ousted from power in late 2001 after the 9/11 attacks, have been accused in the past of using young boys to plant roadside bombs and act as suicide bombers.
The insurgents, who made no comment on the latest incident, have always denied using children to launch attacks.
- Twitter flies on surprisingly strong numbers
- Twitter loss widens but user numbers propel shares
- Twitter loss widens, revenue surges
- Paris tourists share picnics with rats at the Louvre
- Liverpool sign Belgian World Cup star Origi
- Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- Dozens killed in terror attack in China's Xinjiang: Xinhua
- McDonald's Japan pulls profit forecast after China meat scandal
- Great apes face extinction: conservationist Jane Goodall
- EU hits 4 Putin allies, 4 Russian firms over Ukraine and MH17
- Malaysia can use security act to try MH17 culprit, says Wan Junaidi – Bernama
- MAS flight MH136 stops takeoff to avoid crashing into jet
- WhatsApp texts show PAS can’t be trusted, say social media users
- Muhyiddin worries MB change may bode ill for Selangor water project – Bernama
- It was only a study, Zuhdi says of contentious WhatsApp texts
- DAP joins PKR in censuring PAS over controversial WhatsApp message
- PAS’s non-Muslim supporters to abide by leadership’s call on position in Pakatan
- Najib congratulates gold medal Games winners – Bernama
- This is all about Hadi v moderates in PAS
- PAS moves to distance party from viral WhatsApp text
- MAS hit with wave of cancellations, says report
- PKR hits out at PAS after leaked WhatsApp message
- Retire, PAS member tells Anwar for dragging Malaysians into his personal agenda
- Malaysia air quality 'unhealthy' as haze obscures skies
- PAS issues gag order on Selangor MB issue, says report