Alvin Tan, Vivian Lee plead not guilty to sedition charge
KUALA LUMPUR, July 18 (Bernama) -- Controversial couple Alvin Tan and Vivian Lee today pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court here to three charges related to their action in posting their Ramadan bak kut teh greeting on their Facebook page and pornographic pictures in their blogs.
The charges against Alvin Tan or his full name, Tan Jye Yee, 25, and Vivian Lee or Lee May Ling, 24, were read before judge Murtazadi Amran.
In the first charge, they were jointly accused of making a seditious posting on "Alvin and Vivian - Alvivi" Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/alvivi.swingers) by uploading a photo of themselves eating bak kut teh (a pork dish) with the greeting 'Selamat Berbuka Puasa with bak kut teh ...fragrant, delicious and appetising' together with the 'halal' logo.
They allegedly committed the offence at 10.48pm between July 11 and 12 at 568-14-18, Kompleks Mutiara Jalan Ipoh, Mile 3 1/2 here.
They were charged under subsection 4 (1) (c) of the Sedition Act 1948 which is punishable under subsection 4 (1) of the same Act and read together with Section 34 of the Code Penal.
For the first offence, they face a fine up to RM5,000, an imprisonment up to three years or both, and imprisonment up to five years for subsequent offence.
what? why not guilty? I want to see them in prison. This is not the first time they insults the nations and disrespect our culture.
They should be punish
This is a big issue only because they are locals and can be prosecuted.
OK agreed the pair are not normal and ignorant.
Other than that surely all of us know there are much worst things being said and written elsewhere.
More photos from News
- Loew to stay on as Germany coach
- Drugmaker GSK slashes annual profits forecast
- Boeing boosts 2014 profit forecast after solid quarter
- Boeing posts strong second quarter profit, raises outlook
- Spain shows best growth for six years: central bank
- Heatstroke kills three in Japan, thousands hospitalised
- Peaches Geldof death 'drug-related'
- Ukraine says pro-Russia rebels shoot down two fighter jets
- Ukraine rebels 'shoot down two fighter jets'
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory
- First MH17 bodies arrive in Netherlands as nation mourns
- First bodies from downed flight MH17 land in Netherlands
- Dutch await first MH17 bodies as nation mourns
- Pro-Russian militant admits to shooting down of flight MH17, reports Italian daily
- Planes carrying MH17 bodies head to Netherlands
- Full inspection for KL soup kitchens, no word on their ban
- US shows evidence of Russian support for Ukraine rebels, says report
- We will recover all victims’; remains from MH17 crash site, says Dutch investigator
- MAS ground crew recalls happy voyagers boarding MH17 flight in Amsterdam
- Body parts of MH17 victims a ‘giant jigsaw puzzle’ for DNA experts
- MH17 airline crew recalls happy voyagers boarding flight
- Bodies of MH17 crash victims flown to Netherlands
- No other deal with Ukraine separatists for MH17, says Muhyiddin
- Pro-Russian separatists accidentally shot down MH17, reports The Guardian
- MH17 black boxes delivered to British investigators