Three Americans on missing Malaysia Air jet: US
"At this time, we can confirm that three US citizens were on board," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.
"Officials from the US embassies in Kuala Lumpur and Beijing are in contact with the individuals' families," Psaki said, adding that Washington is "working to assess whether additional US citizens may have been on board the flight".
"We extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of those on board Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370," she continued, adding that the US government is providing no additional information about the Americans on the missing flight "out of respect for them."
Rescue planes on Saturday were searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, which was carrying 239 passengers.
Officials in Vietnam have said two large oil slicks have been spotted, the first possible sign that the missing twin-engine Boeing 777 jetliner could have gone down somewhere in the waters between southern Vietnam and northern Malaysia.
- IMF warns West may need to boost $17 bn Ukraine rescue
- Islamic State claims to behead second US reporter
- Islamic State claims to behead second US reporter: video
- 'Islamic State' claims beheading of second US reporter: video
- French finance minister hints at cut in 2015 savings target
- Romance blossoms between German, French leaders in TV film
- Uganda fears for children as overseas adoptions boom
- France's scorned former first lady to publish kiss-and-tell
- World 'losing battle' to contain Ebola
- Halliburton pays $1.1 bn for Gulf of Mexico BP spill
- With academic’;s case, Najib’;s sedition dragnet now an outrageous farce, says Anwar
- English to be made compulsory pass at public universities – Bernama
- Has Putrajaya gone bonkers, asks the DAP
- Maxis Communications, Anandakrishnan deny allegations in India
- DAP claim Umno ‘manufacturing cases’; against opposition, academic
- Dr Mahathir praises Malaysian trade union movement – Bernama
- Claiming comments taken out of context, Zahid says only DAP arrogant
- Sedition law used to create fear, silence thought, say lawyers
- Move forward with unity and prove Zahid wrong, says head of moderates movement
- EPF reports 13.5% growth in investment income to RM10.4 billion
- Fight critics fairly in civil courts, Guan Eng dares IGP
- Najib outlines main objectives in developing higher education – Bernama
- Pilots pay last respects to fallen MH17 captain – Bernama
- Divorce proceedings part of a political ploy, says Mahmud Abu Bekir
- Malaysians will fight on, activists tell Putrajaya after professor caught in sedition dragnet