Three Americans on missing Malaysia Air jet: US
"At this time, we can confirm that three US citizens were on board," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.
"Officials from the US embassies in Kuala Lumpur and Beijing are in contact with the individuals' families," Psaki said, adding that Washington is "working to assess whether additional US citizens may have been on board the flight".
"We extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of those on board Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370," she continued, adding that the US government is providing no additional information about the Americans on the missing flight "out of respect for them."
Rescue planes on Saturday were searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, which was carrying 239 passengers.
Officials in Vietnam have said two large oil slicks have been spotted, the first possible sign that the missing twin-engine Boeing 777 jetliner could have gone down somewhere in the waters between southern Vietnam and northern Malaysia.
- Griesa refrains from contempt charge against Argentina
- Islamic State 'beyond anything we've seen': US
- US: IS must be defeated in Syria as well as Iraq
- S&P 500 cruises to new record
- Ukraine president pledges to 'talk peace' with Putin
- Carlin clinches stunning 800m, treble for 'Iron Lady' Hosszu
- Spurs come from behind to win in Cyprus, Hull beaten
- Spurs come from behind to win in Cyprus
- Foley death underlines Western agony of ransom payment
- US missionaries beat Ebola as Liberia crisis worsens
- Nurul Izzah settles defamation suit by Raja Nong Chik with apology – Bernama
- First Malaysian bodies from MH17 crash fly home
- Celcom boss tipped to become new Malaysia Airlines CEO
- Penang Tunnel feasibility study in January with construction starting 2016
- Terengganu PAS wants 2 Selangor Adun sacked over MB issue – Bernama
- Dr M’s words have made impact across nation, ex-minister warns Najib
- Malaysia keen to take domestic workers from Nepal – Bernama
- Who’;s being truthful about economy, Dr M or Bank Negara, asks Perkasa
- Large screens in KL for telecast of ceremony honouring MH17 victims – Bernama
- Time for all to condemn Islamic State for their violence
- Malaysian killed in Syria member of militant group, say police
- PAS deny discussing Azmin for MB with Selangor Sultan
- Umno denies Najib received ‘7 demands’; letter from Dr Mahathir
- We won’;t stake claim on MB post, says Selangor PAS chief
- High Court upholds conviction, sentence on former Perak shariah chief prosecutor – Bernama