F1 heiress inspires Tony Fernandes to ban foie gras from AirAsia and Lotus Racing events
In February, Ecclestone wrote letters to Formula 1 team sponsors asking them to keep foie gras off the menu at all their events.
Tony Fernandes of Lotus Racing, took her request to heart and one giant step to ban foie gras from AirAsia and all Lotus Racing events.
"Our lovely foie gras campaign ambassador saved two birds with one appeal when she wrote to Tony Fernandes. We are delighted that Lotus Racing and AirAsia will never again serve 'torture in a tin' at their events," says the director of PETA Asia-Pacific.
Workers use metal pipes to pump a 2 kilograms of mixture of grain maize and fat into the stomachs of ducks and geese several times a day to make foie gras.
In human terms, that would be the equivalent of being forced to eat roughly 20 kilograms of pasta.
As a result, the birds' liver swells up to 10 times their normal size, making them ill and often immobile. Many animals have also been known to bleed to death when the pipes puncture their throat.
Foie gras production has been banned in 16 countries, including the UK, Germany and Israel.
The Pope has denounced the production of foie gras as cruel, and Sir Roger Moore narrated a graphic video showing the cruelty of foie gras production.
For more information, please visit PETAAsiaPacific.com
- UBS profits rise but clouded by tax, legal risks
- China's former security chief Zhou facing disciplinary probe
- Nigerian weightlifter in doping shock
- Nigerian weightlifter in doping shock at Commonwealth Games
- Gaza’;s sole power plant knocked out by Israeli strike
- Karzai’;s cousin and Ghani ally killed in Afghan suicide attack
- Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- BP warns more sanctions on Russia could hit business
- Truck driver kills 12 sleeping pilgrims on India highway
- Karzai cousin killed in Afghan 'turban bomb' attack
- WhatsApp texts show PAS can’t be trusted, say social media users
- Muhyiddin worries MB change may bode ill for Selangor water project – Bernama
- It was only a study, Zuhdi says of contentious WhatsApp texts
- DAP joins PKR in censuring PAS over controversial WhatsApp message
- PAS’s non-Muslim supporters to abide by leadership’s call on position in Pakatan
- Najib congratulates gold medal Games winners – Bernama
- This is all about Hadi v moderates in PAS
- PAS moves to distance party from viral WhatsApp text
- MAS hit with wave of cancellations, says report
- PKR hits out at PAS after leaked WhatsApp message
- Retire, PAS member tells Anwar for dragging Malaysians into his personal agenda
- Malaysia air quality 'unhealthy' as haze obscures skies
- PAS issues gag order on Selangor MB issue, says report
- PRS will veto new parties’ application to join Barisan, says Masing
- Countries with MH17 victims agree to prosecution team