Sugar price increases by 20 sen
The new price is RM2.30 per kilo. The Star, a Malaysian newspaper, said the announcement was made by the secretary-general of the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry.
The official said the price increase was necessary to see the government's sugar subsidy reduced from RM400 million per year to RM116.6 million per year.
It's the first sugar price increase of this year - the previous one (also a 20 sen hike) occured in December last year.
To compare and contrast, here are the sugar prices in neighbouring countries:
Are we paying too much? Too little? Just right? You decide.
Follow MSN Malaysia News on Twitter (twitter.com/mymsnnews) for breaking news in Malaysia and the world.
- Carlin clinches stunning 800m, treble for 'Iron Lady' Hosszu
- Spurs come from behind to win in Cyprus
- Foley death underlines Western agony of ransom payment
- US missionaries beat Ebola as Liberia crisis worsens
- US strikes Islamic State in Iraq after hostage horror
- US aircraft bomb targets in northern Iraq
- Indonesia court upholds Widodo presidential victory
- Bank of America agrees $17 bn deal over dodgy mortgages
- Russia targets McDonald's in expanding East-West trade war
- Two American Ebola patients leave hospital
- First Malaysian bodies from MH17 crash fly home
- Celcom boss tipped to become new Malaysia Airlines CEO
- Penang Tunnel feasibility study in January with construction starting 2016
- Terengganu PAS wants 2 Selangor Adun sacked over MB issue – Bernama
- Dr M’s words have made impact across nation, ex-minister warns Najib
- Malaysia keen to take domestic workers from Nepal – Bernama
- Who’;s being truthful about economy, Dr M or Bank Negara, asks Perkasa
- Large screens in KL for telecast of ceremony honouring MH17 victims – Bernama
- Time for all to condemn Islamic State for their violence
- Malaysian killed in Syria member of militant group, say police
- PAS deny discussing Azmin for MB with Selangor Sultan
- Umno denies Najib received ‘7 demands’; letter from Dr Mahathir
- We won’;t stake claim on MB post, says Selangor PAS chief
- High Court upholds conviction, sentence on former Perak shariah chief prosecutor – Bernama
- Produce author first, judge rules in Kit Siang’s defamation suit