Sugar price increases by 20 sen
The new price is RM2.30 per kilo. The Star, a Malaysian newspaper, said the announcement was made by the secretary-general of the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry.
The official said the price increase was necessary to see the government's sugar subsidy reduced from RM400 million per year to RM116.6 million per year.
It's the first sugar price increase of this year - the previous one (also a 20 sen hike) occured in December last year.
To compare and contrast, here are the sugar prices in neighbouring countries:
Are we paying too much? Too little? Just right? You decide.
Follow MSN Malaysia News on Twitter (twitter.com/mymsnnews) for breaking news in Malaysia and the world.
- Ukraine hosts top diplomats as pressure grows on president
- Ukraine hosts OSCE meeting as pressure grows on Yanukovych
- N. Korea prison camp expands, guards use rape and torture: report
- North Korea prison camp expands, guards use rape and torture: report
- UN Council set to authorize Central African force
- Swann catch ensures honours even in 2nd Ashes Test
- Swann catch keeps England in Test contention
- Tokyo to launch $53.8 billion stimulus package
- Iraq forces end Kirkuk mall siege, release hostages
- Philippine leader to help Myanmar’;s move to democracy
- I will think about it, says Dr Mahathir on PM’;s call for him to remain as Petronas adviser
- Dialogue with PAS the start of unity talks, says Zahid Hamidi
- Open membership to all or be doomed, PKR’;s Surendran tells Umno
- After six months, Umno decides it won popular vote in GE13
- Sabah and Sarawak brace for floods as heavy rain warning lifted in five other states
- For MCA, Penang made surplus through state land sale
- Malaysia lost RM40 billion investments because of Pakatan’;s “tactics”
- Japan, SE Asia in talks to expand currency swap
- Tweaks to taxation law to hit savers, small traders hardest
- Sex blogger couple seeks stay on trial for sedition and pornography charges
- Najib airs video on Anwar’;s “;lies”; about Bangladeshi voters
- Smarter uniforms for security guards, less dependecy on foreigners, says BN MP
- Pakatan got it wrong, BN won more popular votes, says Najib
- Former envoy says Mat Zain’s claims on Batu Puteh “;a load of rubbish”;
- PAS lawmaker meets Catholic church leaders from peninsula