Fact check: Malaysia's alcohol consumption
So here's a bit of background on the issue. The Star, a Malaysian newspaper, reported that no less than the WHO (World Health Organization) fingered us Malaysians to be the 10th biggest drinkers on Earth. This was supposedly based on 2011 WHO statistics.
Naturally, this being Malaysia, the news caused an uproar in certain quarters of society. Some thought we're turning into a bunch of immoral drunkards.
But there are a couple of problems with the facts reported in that article published by The Star.
CLICK through the pages to continue reading this article. We'll compare the actual WHO alcohol profile on Malaysia with what was reported in The Star.
Follow MSN Malaysia News on Twitter (twitter.com/mymsnnews) for breaking news in Malaysia and the world.
- Second apparent leak of hacked celebrity nude pictures: US media
- Secret Service launches security review after White House breach
- NATO cautiously welcomes Ukraine buffer zone deal
- Ronaldo leads eight-goal rout of Deportivo, Atletico held
- Ukraine munitions factory hit after new peace plan adopted
- Afghan presidential rivals set to ink 'unity government' deal
- Albania tightens security ahead of pope visit
- Liverpool dealt shock Hammer blow
- Arsenal's quickfire treble stuns Villa
- NATO says Russian forces 'still inside Ukraine'
- Follow procedure to prevent racist exam questions, says NUTP
- Why Hadi’s speech is bad news for Pakatan
- Cops record statements of 30 in UPSR leak probe – Bernama
- Exams Syndicate officials reassigned, not suspended, says ministry sec-gen
- Penang’s surplus budget not from sale of state land, says Guan Eng
- Amend Sedition Act first if repeal is delayed, says law expert
- Sedition Act enacted to protect non-Malays, claims Ibrahim Ali
- I could not follow PKR, DAP in Selangor MB issue, says Hadi
- The two sides of PAS
- Sarawak BN leader wants those who distort history charged with sedition
- Wan Azizah still PKR’s only choice for Selangor menteri besar
- Police interview lawyer Edmund Bon in sedition probe
- I’m not against Hadi, I helped him in GE13, says Mat Sabu
- Malaysian women making gains at workplace – Bernama
- 1MDB’;s RM1.38 billion Penang land quandary