Fact check: Malaysia's alcohol consumption
So here's a bit of background on the issue. The Star, a Malaysian newspaper, reported that no less than the WHO (World Health Organization) fingered us Malaysians to be the 10th biggest drinkers on Earth. This was supposedly based on 2011 WHO statistics.
Naturally, this being Malaysia, the news caused an uproar in certain quarters of society. Some thought we're turning into a bunch of immoral drunkards.
But there are a couple of problems with the facts reported in that article published by The Star.
CLICK through the pages to continue reading this article. We'll compare the actual WHO alcohol profile on Malaysia with what was reported in The Star.
Follow MSN Malaysia News on Twitter (twitter.com/mymsnnews) for breaking news in Malaysia and the world.
- Nothing should impede normalisation of Russia-West relations: Putin
- Rescuers search for Everest avalanche victims
- Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani UN staff members from Karachi
- Air strike kills 13 suspected militants in central Yemen, say sources
- Touring royals meet Australian military families
- Prince William, Kate meet Australian military families
- Hamilton on pole for Chinese Grand Prix
- Historic mass in Turkish-held north Cyprus 'like a miracle'
- Al-Qaeda chief calls for unity as jihadist schism deepens
- Qaeda chief calls for unity as jihadist schism deepens
- MH370 search at 'critical juncture': Malaysia
- Poll on Putrajaya’s transparency on M370 purely speculative, says Hishammuddin
- Public can pay last respects to Karpal from 8.30am tomorrow – Bernama
- Church leaders pay tribute to Karpal
- Hishammuddin says search for MH370 in next two days ‘critical’;
- Underwater search for MH370 to be completed in 5 to 7 days, say Australian officials
- Penang to rename road in honour of Karpal SIngh
- He was our role model, our hero, say Karpal’s sons
- Remains of Karpal’s aide to be flown back to India
- 10 hurt in express bus crash – Bernama
- Clarify reminder on use of ‘RIP’; by Muslims, former Perlis mufti urges fatwa council
- Mini-sub begins seventh dive as search goes on for MH370
- Langkawi MP unrepentant, continues insults on late Karpal, says Facebook user
- Karpal a maverick lawyer, but always professional, says retired A-G Abu Talib
- Malaysia, Australia to ink deal on black box custody, says report