'Emo' subculture blamed for social ills in Malaysia
Kosmo!, a Malaysian newspaper, reported on the current epidemic of suicidal licentiousness said to be afflicting emo enthusiasts. According to the paper, Malaysian followers of the emo movement slit their wrists, lick their own blood, and engage in promiscuous sex.
Followers would reportedly gather in large numbers to listen to music of the emo genre - identified by the paper as releases by bands like My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, and The Promise Ring. Apparently, while indulging in the (allegedly) suicidal lyrics, some emo fans would hurt themselves with sharp objects.
And still others reportedly take drugs - primarily heroin, meth, and ecstasy - to accentuate the experience.
The paper went on to say that the most popular 'ritual' among emo-ists is slitting one's own wrists and dying slowly. Troubled teenage girls - especially those made vulnerable by sadness and disappointment as well as terrible childhood memories - are believed to make up the bulk of the emo following.
TELL US YOUR OPINION: Serious crisis or just a case of prudish moral hysteria? Do you think emo music and the emo subculture are sources of social ills? What's the real problem here? Sign in here and COMMENT.
Important: MSN Malaysia is NOT responsible for content posted by readers. When commenting, please refrain from profanity and/or provocative language. Do NOT post anything that may be considered libelous, inflammatory and/or illegal.
Our take? When we listen to Justin Bieber, we feel like hurting ourselves (and nearby inanimate objects) with sharp things too. Does that make us emo too? You tell us.
Follow MSN Malaysia News on Twitter (twitter.com/mymsnnews) and Facebook (click here) for breaking news in Malaysia and the world.
- Russia targets McDonald's in expanding East-West trade war
- Two Americans with Ebola recover, leave hospital
- Kiev says Russian army vehicles seized as aid checks start
- Russian aid trucks undergo Ukraine border checks
- Super Mario 'on brink of shock Liverpool move'
- Kiev says two Russian army vehicles seized
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza
- Police fire tear gas as Indonesia court rules on poll challenge
- Shakira hit song 'Loca' a copy: judge
- Israeli strikes kill senior Hamas commanders in Gaza
- Penang Tunnel feasibility study in January with construction starting 2016
- Terengganu PAS wants 2 Selangor Adun sacked over MB issue – Bernama
- Dr M’;s words have made impact across nation, ex-minister warns Najib
- Malaysia keen to take domestic workers from Nepal – Bernama
- Who’;s being truthful about economy, Dr M or Bank Negara, asks Perkasa
- Large screens in KL for telecast of ceremony honouring MH17 victims – Bernama
- Time for all to condemn Islamic State for their violence
- Malaysian killed in Syria member of militant group, say police
- PAS deny discussing Azmin for MB with Selangor Sultan
- Umno denies Najib received ‘7 demands’; letter from Dr Mahathir
- We won’;t stake claim on MB post, says Selangor PAS chief
- High Court upholds conviction, sentence on former Perak shariah chief prosecutor – Bernama
- Produce author first, judge rules in Kit Siang’s defamation suit
- Remains of nine MH17 crew among 20 to be brought home tomorrow
- Sarawakian Christian wants court to decide if she can use ‘Allah’;