Getting to know the new Yang di-Pertuan Agong
AP Photo, Vincent Thian
Malaysia's new King Sultan Abdul Halim, third right in front, inspects an honor guard during a welcoming ceremony at the Parliament Square in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011. The 84-year-old sultan became the oldest constitutional monarch in this Southeast Asian nation's history.
This is the first time a Malaysian ruler has ever been the national monarch twice. Tuanku Abdul Halim's first term as Agong was from 1970 to 1975 in his forties. At the time, he was among the youngest Malay rulers to have been appointed to the post of Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Tuanku Abdul Halim's term as Agong succeeds the five year term of Terengganu ruler Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin, who returned to his home state after a farewell ceremony at Parliament on Monday.
More photos from News
- Executions a ‘common spectacle’; in jihadist-held Syria, says UN
- South Africa win toss, elect to bowl, against Australia
- France's economic malaise: A sense of deja-vu?
- IMF chief charged with 'negligence' over graft case
- IMF chief Lagarde charged over French corruption case
- IMF chief Lagarde charged over corruption case
- India court pressures Modi on ‘criminal’; ministers
- Japan lab unable to replicate ‘stem cell’; findings
- Afghan election in crisis as candidates pull out of audit
- North Korea calls US ‘human rights graveyard’; over Ferguson
- Anwar refuses to name the 40 BN MPs in Pakatan crossover
- Red Bull air race a missed opportunity to promote Malaysia, says Dr M
- Khalid Samad dares youths who spat on him to man up
- Leave if you aren’t happy with Pakatan, Khalid Samad tells PAS members
- No legal requirement to request for more names to appoint MB, say legal experts
- Najib condemns Islamic State militants
- Philippines arrests suspect in deadly Pulau Mabul raid
- DAP to wait for letter from palace before announcing further action – Bernama
- Philippines arrests suspect in deadly Malaysian raid
- Khalid denies he was Pakatan’;s sole candidate for MB post in 2008 and 2013
- Guan Eng defends voluntary patrol unit, says attacks are ‘politically motivated’
- Semi-nude couple plead guilty to public nuisance charge
- Identification of remaining MH17 victims getting more challenging, says forensic expert – Bernama
- Halim Saad fails in bid to reinstate RM2 billion suit over Renong deal
- Nothing unusual about submitting only Wan Azizah for MB post, says Anwar