Getting to know the new Yang di-Pertuan Agong
AP Photo, Vincent Thian
Malaysia's new King Sultan Abdul Halim, third right in front, inspects an honor guard during a welcoming ceremony at the Parliament Square in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011. The 84-year-old sultan became the oldest constitutional monarch in this Southeast Asian nation's history.
This is the first time a Malaysian ruler has ever been the national monarch twice. Tuanku Abdul Halim's first term as Agong was from 1970 to 1975 in his forties. At the time, he was among the youngest Malay rulers to have been appointed to the post of Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Tuanku Abdul Halim's term as Agong succeeds the five year term of Terengganu ruler Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin, who returned to his home state after a farewell ceremony at Parliament on Monday.
More photos from News
- Mandela funeral: The 'world is coming'
- Obama, Raul Castro, Ban to address Mandela memorial
- Aerospace giant EADS to cut 5,800 jobs in Europe
- Ukraine opposition party says HQ stormed, police deny
- Aerospace giant EADS plan 5,800 job cuts in defence, space sectors
- Putin stokes controversy with news agency shake-up
- France's central bank raises growth forecast
- German economic engine stalls as it pulls eurozone
- Tech giants call on US to reform surveillance laws
- Brazil vows to act after hooliganism outbreak
- I will think about it, says Dr Mahathir on PM’;s call for him to remain as Petronas adviser
- Dialogue with PAS the start of unity talks, says Zahid Hamidi
- Open membership to all or be doomed, PKR’;s Surendran tells Umno
- After six months, Umno decides it won popular vote in GE13
- Sabah and Sarawak brace for floods as heavy rain warning lifted in five other states
- For MCA, Penang made surplus through state land sale
- Malaysia lost RM40 billion investments because of Pakatan’;s “tactics”
- Japan, SE Asia in talks to expand currency swap
- Tweaks to taxation law to hit savers, small traders hardest
- Sex blogger couple seeks stay on trial for sedition and pornography charges
- Najib airs video on Anwar’;s “;lies”; about Bangladeshi voters
- Smarter uniforms for security guards, less dependecy on foreigners, says BN MP
- Pakatan got it wrong, BN won more popular votes, says Najib
- Former envoy says Mat Zain’s claims on Batu Puteh “;a load of rubbish”;
- PAS lawmaker meets Catholic church leaders from peninsula