Anti-ISA activists march on Parliament
Activists at the anti-ISA march today (MSN Malaysia)
KUALA LUMPUR - Activists opposed to the Internal Security Act (ISA), marched from Lake Gardens to Parliament here this morning.
About 30 activists from various NGOs, led by Gerakan Mansuh ISA (GMI), participated in the march which made the demand that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak abolish the ISA.
The act is infamous for its provisions, which include allowing detention without trial for up to two years.
The march arrived in Parliament and sent six activists led by GMI chairman Syed Ibrahim Syed Noh to submit the memorandum to Najib and Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
The activists were able to submit their memo to Anwar, but not to Najib or any government representative. According to Free Malaysia Today, Anwar promised to put forth a private member's bill in Parliament tomorrow.
In September last year, Najib made the announcement that the ISA would be repealed. However, two new laws would replace it, with Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein acknowledging that the new bills will also allow for detention without trial.
ISA needs to be abolish, period.
As much as I hate the notion that this whole thing is nothing more than a premeditated and calculated political move which finally has caught up with public attention, ISA is fundamentally wrong.
That's nothing wrong for the ISA. People usually not afraid or feel disturbing about it, people just want a peaceful environment, but, the fact is who used it? Is it used correctly or any grey area in between?
USA / UK / France and Australia have the same law such as Patriot law in USA .
Why make so much noise about ISA . Their laws are even worse but
the NGOs and the Opposition especially Anwar support these cruel laws.
So, Malaysians who are not so cleverly minded should walk the talk and
protest all the cruel laws that the so called Developed Nations have , not
listening to their Human Rights bull.... !
If you think the Govt. of the day is denying your rights , just don't cry when
bombs start blasting in your ears like in southern thailand or indonesia.
Never think about other peoples safety .... just because those External NGOs
give you recognition and funds , are they your new masters ........ !
More photos from News
- BN mulls ideas to regain trust after popular vote loss
- Press statement: Say No to Racial Politics
- Dr. M: DAP swayed Malays to view BN as corrupt
- GE13 an urban, not Chinese swing, say analysts
- MCA President will not defend seat in party poll this year
- Anwar will continue as opposition leader in parliament - Kit Siang
- GE13: New Menteri Besar for Kelantan
- Malaysia PM faces limited future after worst electoral showing
- GE13: Continued voter support for women candidates
- GE13: Triumphant BN seen losing popular vote
- Dortmund out to scale 'Everest' of Euro final
- Hummels fit for Champions League final
- Heynckes at ease with pre-final pressure
- Syria army says rebels trapped in Qusayr's north
- Monaco announce Moutinho, Rodriguez signings
- Take a bow-wow: Blind poodle wins Cannes' 'Palm Dog'
- Two arrests after UK fighter jets escort Pakistani plane
- British fighter jets escort diverted Pakistani plane
- British fighter jets escorting plane in UK airspace: ministry
- News Corp approves Murdoch split for June 28
- Policeman, five gunmen killed in Kabul Taliban attack
- Policeman, four gunmen killed in Kabul Taliban attack
- Taliban launch major attack on Kabul
- Taliban launch major attack on downtown Kabul
- Taliban launch attack in downtown Kabul