Cambodia's Khmer Rouge court to be 'downsized'
Cambodian police sit in a pick-up truck as they leave the Extraordinary Chamber in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) in Phnom Penh on September 16, 2012. Cambodia said Wednesday it would downsize its Khmer Rouge war crimes tribunal, following a shortage of funds that disrupted a major trial of former top regime leaders.
"We have a financial crisis at the court so we have to restructure its operations to make it smaller in order to reduce costs," government spokesman Ek Tha told AFP.
He was unable to say how many of the 400 employees would be affected.
Tribunal spokesman Lars Olsen played down the significance of the move. "The court is regularly reviewing its staffing requirements to ensure that we are cost efficient," he said.
The UN-backed tribunal has been frequently short of cash since it was set up in 2006 to pursue justice for the deaths of up to two million people under the fanatical Khmer Rouge communist regime in the late 1970s.
A two-week strike by local staff last month over unpaid wages paralysed the trial of elderly former regime leaders, adding to fears that they will not live to face verdicts.
One of the defendants, regime co-founder Ieng Sary, died last month. The court has also been dogged by claims that the Cambodian government has tried to obstruct progress in the landmark trial.
UN and Cambodian officials are drawing up recommendations for the court to hasten the trial of the remaining two suspects, Ek Tha said.
"The old age of the defendants and the financial issue prompted us to recommend the judges and the prosecutors to speed up the trial process. But it does not mean we want them to take short cuts," he said.
Officials would meet donor representatives to seek more funding for the court when the downsizing plan is complete, he added.
The Cambodian side of the hybrid tribunal -- whose top donors include Japan, the European Union and Australia -- urgently needs around $7 million to cover costs for this year.
A fresh strike was averted in late March after Cambodia reached an agreement to borrow money to pay wages from the budget for international staff.
Led by "Brother Number One" Pol Pot, who died in 1998, the regime wiped out nearly a quarter of Cambodia's population through starvation, overwork or execution in a bid to create an agrarian utopia during their 1975-79 rule.
The two remaining defendants, "Brother Number Two" Nuon Chea, 86, and former head of state Khieu Samphan, 81, have denied charges of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.
- Mandela's death hits home at wake
- Sneijder sinks Juventus to send 'Gala' into last 16
- Mandela memorial sign language interpreter a 'fraud'
- Lloyds bank fined £28m over sales failings
- US and UK suspend Syria non-lethal aid as winter bites
- Qatar 'ready' for summer or winter World Cup
- Fake ‘signer’; at Mandela Memorial outrages deaf
- Qatar ready for summer or winter World Cup: official
- Tutu home burgled during visit to Mandela memorial
- Pope Francis is Time person of the year
- Why is Putrajaya protecting identity of Serdang Hospital contractor, asks DAP
- Karpal searches for missing client in assault case against Zahid
- Malaysia on alert for fugitive Singapore rioters, says deputy home minister
- Putrajaya reacts to poor performance in global students survey, forms committee
- Analysts shred Perkasa’s warning of Christian tsunami
- Demolished heritage site not a place of worship, says Mukhriz – Bernama
- The politics of smear now, apologise later
- Police chief looks forward to passing of crime act amendments
- No more sexist remarks, but more “gentlemanly politicians” please
- Kadir Jasin not aware if PMO directed Astro Awani to remove report on Rosmah post
- Top cop wants Monday rally organisers to cooperate with police
- For Mykad loss, Putrajaya proposes higher penalty – Bernama
- Ridhuan Tee, neither gentleman nor role model, says Teresa Kok
- Chew Mei Fun makes comeback, goes for party’s veep post – Bernama
- No ambiguity in Constitution’s definition of Islam, says minister