Earthquake magnitude of 8.7 strikes Aceh
JAKARTA, April 11, 2012 (AFP) - A massive earthquake struck off Indonesia's Sumatra island on Wednesday, US and Indonesian monitors reported, prompting a Pacific-wide tsunami alert.
The quake's magnitude was 8.7, according to a revised measurement from the US Geological Survey, and it struck 431 kilometres (268 miles) off the Indonesian city of Banda Aceh.
Banda Aceh was near the epicentre of a devastating quake in 2004 that triggered a tsunami across the Indian Ocean, which killed 170,000 people.
The latest tremor was felt as far afield as Thailand and southern India, residents said.
In Malaysia, tsunami alerts have been issued. "We have issued a tsunami alert. We urge people to keep away from the beach in (the states of) Kedah, Perlis, Langkawi, Penang and Perak," Che Gayah Ismail, deputy director-general of the Malaysian Meteorological Department, told AFP. "People are advised to keep away from the beaches. It is not an evacuation order."
Guys, Earth have given so many signals to us that it's sick!
Act now to love our planet before it's too late.
All the natural disaster cause by human that take everything from earth and never returned back.
Act now to love our only planet, or we'll send ourselves towards judgement day.
Hi, my mum just called me from Pangkor Island that she very scared then only I know got earthquake happened in Indonesia again. Actually she felt the tremors from yesterday night, she felt dizzy & can't sleep for the whole night. Furthermore, this afternoon felt the tremors for few minutes when she sitting on a chair. Hopefully no tsunami happen in everywhere.
11.04.2012 (Wednesday) i.e. today - about 4.45pm, we also felt the tremor (lasted for about 3 to 4 minutes) at the surrounding of Taman Bahagia (Happy Garden) [behind a school] in Seberang Perak, Alor Setar, Kedah.
I am Hariharan from Alor Star.My sister saw the chair vibrating at time of the earthquake.
More photos from News
- BN mulls ideas to regain trust after popular vote loss
- Press statement: Say No to Racial Politics
- Dr. M: DAP swayed Malays to view BN as corrupt
- GE13 an urban, not Chinese swing, say analysts
- MCA President will not defend seat in party poll this year
- Anwar will continue as opposition leader in parliament - Kit Siang
- GE13: New Menteri Besar for Kelantan
- Malaysia PM faces limited future after worst electoral showing
- GE13: Continued voter support for women candidates
- GE13: Triumphant BN seen losing popular vote
- Arsenal seal Champions League berth, Fergie bows out
- Young African-American director creates buzz at Cannes
- Nadal, Serena triumph in Rome
- Nadal crushes Federer to win seventh Rome title
- Williams sweeps Azarenka aside to win Rome title
- One dead in Tunisia showdown with Islamists
- English Premier League Final Day: Live Report
- English Premier League Final Day: Live Report Coming Soon
- Premier League Final Day: Live Report Coming Soon
- Chinese premier arrives in India for talks
- Divorced Briton admits killing children in France
- British father admits killing children in France: prosecutor
- I want to leave PSG, says Madrid target Ancelotti
- Ancelotti wants to leave PSG for Real - Leonardo
- Syrian forces storm rebel bastion of Qusayr