Hong Kong seizes smuggled cigarettes worth $970,000
Hong Kong customs has seized smuggled cigarettes worth nearly $1 million
"In the operation, two cross-boundary vehicles for smuggling illicit cigarettes were seized and five storage points were smashed," a spokesman for the southern Chinese city government said in a press statement late Friday.
"One of which used fake water heaters to conceal the cigarettes," the customs department said in another statement posted on the government website.
Officials said that about three million sticks of illicit cigarettes were seized, with a market value of HK$7.5 million ($970,000) and duty potential of about HK$5.1 million. Five people had been arrested in the operation, the online statement said.
More smuggled cigarettes had been seized so far this year compared to the previous year, the spokesman added.
For the first ten months this year, a total of about 36 million sticks of illicit cigarettes had been seized, compared to 27 million seized in the same period last year.
The former British colony is prone to cigarette smuggling due to its proximity with mainland China with which it is connected by a land border.
Under Hong Kong laws, the maximum penalty for smuggling is a fine of HK$2 million ($250,000) and a seven-year jail term.
- Eurozone economy still in timid recovery: survey
- Cardiff hand Mackay conduct file to FA
- Australia's Treasury Wine Estates vows reset after big loss
- Police fire tear gas as Indonesia court rules on poll challenge
- Shakira hit song 'Loca' a copy: judge
- Israeli air strikes kill senior Hamas commanders in Gaza
- Israeli strikes kill 15 on day 45 of Gaza war
- Islamic State video shows conversion of Yazidis to Islam
- Dozens die in Ukraine in street battles, Donetsk shelling
- Germany's Infineon to buy International Rectifier for $3 bn
- Time for all to condemn Islamic State for their violence
- Malaysian killed in Syria member of militant group, say police
- PAS deny discussing Azmin for MB with Selangor Sultan
- Umno denies Najib received ‘7 demands’; letter from Dr Mahathir
- We won’;t stake claim on MB post, says Selangor PAS chief
- High Court upholds conviction, sentence on former Perak shariah chief prosecutor – Bernama
- Produce author first, judge rules in Kit Siang’s defamation suit
- Remains of nine MH17 crew among 20 to be brought home tomorrow
- Sarawakian Christian wants court to decide if she can use ‘Allah’;
- Militants bought bomb material for planned attack on Carlsberg, say police
- Penang CM is latest to take up ice bucket challenge
- Judge erred in sedition judgment against Karpal, says widow in appeal
- 7 reasons Dr M has withdrawn support for Najib, says report
- Wan Azizah wins presidency, Azmin remains deputy in PKR polls
- Sarawak to seek more funds to power state – Bernama