Hong Kong seizes smuggled cigarettes worth $970,000
Hong Kong customs has seized smuggled cigarettes worth nearly $1 million
"In the operation, two cross-boundary vehicles for smuggling illicit cigarettes were seized and five storage points were smashed," a spokesman for the southern Chinese city government said in a press statement late Friday.
"One of which used fake water heaters to conceal the cigarettes," the customs department said in another statement posted on the government website.
Officials said that about three million sticks of illicit cigarettes were seized, with a market value of HK$7.5 million ($970,000) and duty potential of about HK$5.1 million. Five people had been arrested in the operation, the online statement said.
More smuggled cigarettes had been seized so far this year compared to the previous year, the spokesman added.
For the first ten months this year, a total of about 36 million sticks of illicit cigarettes had been seized, compared to 27 million seized in the same period last year.
The former British colony is prone to cigarette smuggling due to its proximity with mainland China with which it is connected by a land border.
Under Hong Kong laws, the maximum penalty for smuggling is a fine of HK$2 million ($250,000) and a seven-year jail term.
- Scientists unscramble the great sperm-egg secret
- FBI releases video warning US students abroad against spy recruiters
- Six killed, 47 injured in Myanmar’;s Yangon water festival
- Texas executes man convicted in stabbing murders
- Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d'Or
- A fetish for full body suits in Japan
- Floribeth: John Paul II's Costa Rican 'miracle' woman
- Weibo IPO below expectations, raises $285.6 mn: report
- Teen rescued in Argentina after nine years of grim abuse
- Russia, Ukraine sit down for crisis talks
- Karpal makes last journey home to Penang
- Anwar pays tribute to defender of human rights
- Nurul Izzah’;s husband appoints relative as member of reconciliation committee
- DAP orders branches to fly party flag at half-mast in memory of Karpal – Bernama
- Karpal Singh’;s passing a great loss to legal fraternity, says Chief Justice
- MH370 mini-sub search of ocean zone will end within week: PM
- Karpal’s death has left a void in my life, says protégé
- Leaders offer condolences over Karpal Singh’;s death
- Malaysian lawmaker who defended Anwar killed in car crash
- Langkawi BN MP pokes fun at Karpal Singh’s remains
- Lorry driver in Karpal crash tests positive for drugs
- Karpal was a giant, among the top lawyers in the world, says legal fraternity
- My last meeting with Mr Karpal Singh
- Tributes and expressions of shock pour in for Tiger of Jelutong
- Karpal fought for the weak and oppressed, he was a true friend, says Guan Eng