Indonesia jails extremist over Myanmar embassy plot
Achmad Taufiq (L) is guarded by a policeman prior to his trial in Jakarta on November 11, 2013
Achmad Taufiq is one of several men to have gone on trial over the May plot, which came amid anger in Muslim-majority Indonesia at persecution of the stateless Rohingya in mainly Buddhist Myanmar.
Police foiled the plan the night before it was due to take place when they arrested Taufiq in Jakarta carrying a backpack full of homemade bombs while riding a motorbike with another militant.
The 22-year-old plotted with other militants and helped assemble the pipe-bombs, according to his indictment.
Handing down the guilty verdict and sentence Monday, presiding judge Suprapto, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, told the South Jakarta District Court that Taufiq was part of "an evil conspiracy".
"His actions disturbed the peace of the community and went against the government's efforts to combat terrorism," he added.
Taufiq shook his head and looked stressed as the verdict was read out. Prosecutors had recommended an eight-year sentence.
He was found guilty of possessing explosive materials, a charge under tough anti-terror laws that can carry the death penalty in the most serious cases.
According to his indictment, he was part of an extremist group called Negara Islam Indonesia (the Islamic State of Indonesia).
Prosecutors said the planned attack was aimed at putting pressure on the government in Myanmar to do more to stop attacks on the Rohingya.
There have been a string of attacks on minority Muslims in Myanmar since 2012, mostly in the Rohingya's western home state of Rakhine. Hundreds have been killed and tens of thousands made homeless.
Sigit Indrajid, 23, confessed during his trial last month that he was the mastermind of the plot. He is due to be sentenced later this month.
Indonesia has been waging a campaign against Islamic extremists over the past decade since a string of attacks on Western targets, and has succeeded in dismantling the most dangerous networks.
- Ebola outbreak speeds up efforts to find a vaccine
- Poles in silent homage 70 years after Warsaw Uprising
- US Senate approves US$225 million for Israeli ‘Iron Dome’; system
- Anderson gets go-ahead to target Botham record
- Anderson and Jadeja cleared over Test spat
- Nine more killed after week of violence in China’;s Xinjiang
- Putin says world should draw lessons from WWI
- For Gaza residents, ceasefire proves only a brief respite
- Australian couple leave disabled baby with Thai surrogate
- More remains recovered from MH17 crash site, say investigators
- No water rationing in Selangor, says MB – Bernama
- Malaysia has no military cooperation with Hamas, says Zahid – Bernama
- Picket by factory bus operators unreasonable, says SPAD – Bernama
- No water tariff increases in Klang Valley for at least 3-4 years, says Khalid
- PAS central committee member clarifies Whatsapp message – Bernama
- Almost all Malaysian victims on board MH17 have been identified, says Najib
- Dr Mahathir repeats call for Internet censorship
- Recovery work at MH17 crash site begins, say international experts
- Don’;t let Umno have the last laugh, Perak Pakatan youth tell leaders
- Should Selangor be used as a stepping stone to Putrajaya?
- Don’;t politicise water issue, Selangor consumer group warns Rafizi
- MAS needs to do 3 things to survive, says report
- PAS should leave Pakatan to check enemies of Islam, says Isma
- Decide first if a woman can be MB, DAP tells political parties
- Toll protest causes jam at Singapore-Malaysia border