Indonesia police shoot dead man after bomb attack
The man threw the pipe-bomb at a traffic police post in Tasikmalaya city, West Java province, late Monday but it failed to explode, said national police spokesman Boy Rafli Amar.
Two traffic policemen chased the suspect but he resisted arrest by attacking one of the officers with a machete and attempting to fire a homemade gun at them which failed to go off, he said.
"Police then shot him dead," Amar added. One of the policemen was injured in the machete attack and was receiving treatment in hospital.
The man was suspected of being part of a terror network that was targeted by police last week in raids across Java and Sumatra islands.
Seven suspected militants were killed in last week's raids, including several allegedly link to a plot to bomb the Myanmar embassy, and 17 were arrested.
Police also believe the suspects were carrying out robberies to fund a militant group hiding in the jungles around Poso, on Sulawesi island.
Two alleged bomb makers suspected of being part of the Poso group were also arrested early Tuesday in different locations in Central Java province, police said.
Indonesia has mounted a crackdown on terrorism in the past decade in the wake of several attacks on Western targets, which has weakened key militant groups. Most attacks nowadays are low-impact and target Indonesian security forces.
- Britain's baby Prince George visits Australian zoo
- Gunbattle in eastern Ukraine kills four
- Hopkins becomes oldest to unify world titles
- Europe's mergers and acquisitions market heats up
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain’s detention as death toll mounts
- Wenger defiant ahead of Hull Cup final 'warm-up'
- Gilbert aiming for hat-trick at Amstel Gold
- UN agency sounds alarm bells on food scarcity in Palestinian refugee camp
- Family still hoping for son to return home after Korean ferry sunk
- China auto show opens amid environmental, growth concerns
- Tears flow as Penang bids farewell to Karpal
- Enforcement, punishment needed for graft-free Malaysia, not a run
- Friendship Park in Putrajaya to symbolise China-Malaysia ties – Bernama
- PM leads 3km ‘anti-corruption’; run in city centre – Bernama
- In state eulogy, Guan Eng hails Karpal’;s great fighting spirit
- DAP to hold memorial services to pay tribute to Karpal Singh
- Utusan says MB heads to roll in two states
- Robot submarine completes 50% of MH370 underwater search area
- Karpal inspired us, say mourners from near and far bidding farewell to their hero
- Karpal helped build ‘Kit Siang dynasty’; in DAP, says Utusan
- Thousands gather to pay last respects to Karpal
- Despite Karpal’;s death, Anwar has five days left for sodomy appeal in apex court
- We love you, Tiger of Jelutong, grandchildren bid Karpal farewell
- More seats will check gerrymandering, says opposition
- Learner drivers can take test in auto cars from June – Bernama