Kim Jong-Un's uncle ousted, associates executed: South
Picture taken by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on December 28, 2011 shows Kim Jong-Un (R) and Jang Song-Thaek (L) beside the convoy carrying the body of his father and late leader Kim Jong-Il in Pyongyang
In a briefing to a parliamentary committee, South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS) said Jang Song-Thaek had been removed as vice chairman of the North's top military body, the National Defence Commission, an opposition lawmaker told reporters.
If confirmed, Jang's ouster would mark the most significant political upheaval in the top North Korean leadership since Kim succeeded his late father Kim Jong-Il in December 2011.
In an emergency briefing with MPs, the NIS said Jang was "recently ousted from his position and two of his close confidantes -- Ri Yong-Ha and Jang Soo-Kil -- were publicly executed in mid November", legislator Jung Cheong-Rae told reporters.
"The execution was notified to all military personnel. Since then, Jang has disappeared," Jung said.
- Scientists unscramble the great sperm-egg secret
- FBI releases video warning US students abroad against spy recruiters
- Six killed, 47 injured in Myanmar’;s Yangon water festival
- Texas executes man convicted in stabbing murders
- Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d'Or
- A fetish for full body suits in Japan
- Floribeth: John Paul II's Costa Rican 'miracle' woman
- Weibo IPO below expectations, raises $285.6 mn: report
- Teen rescued in Argentina after nine years of grim abuse
- Russia, Ukraine sit down for crisis talks
- Karpal makes last journey home to Penang
- Anwar pays tribute to defender of human rights
- Nurul Izzah’;s husband appoints relative as member of reconciliation committee
- DAP orders branches to fly party flag at half-mast in memory of Karpal – Bernama
- Karpal Singh’;s passing a great loss to legal fraternity, says Chief Justice
- MH370 mini-sub search of ocean zone will end within week: PM
- Karpal’s death has left a void in my life, says protégé
- Leaders offer condolences over Karpal Singh’;s death
- Malaysian lawmaker who defended Anwar killed in car crash
- Langkawi BN MP pokes fun at Karpal Singh’s remains
- Lorry driver in Karpal crash tests positive for drugs
- Karpal was a giant, among the top lawyers in the world, says legal fraternity
- My last meeting with Mr Karpal Singh
- Tributes and expressions of shock pour in for Tiger of Jelutong
- Karpal fought for the weak and oppressed, he was a true friend, says Guan Eng