Malaysia's Najib says opposition tricked Chinese voters
Prime Minister Najib Razak's remarks were the latest in a series of comments from government supporters directed at the nation's sizeable Chinese minority since the election.
Critics have condemned them as racially provocative.
Chinese voters turned their backs on the 56-year-old ruling coalition in unprecedented fashion, with Najib bitterly saying afterward that a "Chinese tsunami" of voters had opted for "extremism and racism".
"They have been taken for a good ride," Najib said of Chinese voters, according to Wednesday's government-controlled New Straits Times, adding they were taken in by the opposition's "racial sentiments".
The opposition's campaign platform had included calls for greater racial equality in the country.
Najib also hit back at criticism of a Tuesday headline in the pro-government newspaper Utusan Malaysia, which asked after the election, "What more do Chinese want?"
"You can blame Utusan, but what about the Chinese papers?" he said of the nation's Chinese-language media which are occasionally critical of the government.
Malaysia has avoided major conflict between its main races -- the Malay majority, the Chinese and the Indians -- for decades under the authoritarian Barisan Nasional (National Front) ruling coalition.
But tensions are rising as minorities increasingly chafe under Malay dominance.
In particular, impatience is growing with decades-old policies that prop up majority Malays to prevent Chinese dominance. Chinese control much of the economy despite making up just a quarter of the 28-million population.
Influential hardline former leader Mahathir Mohamad, a key architect of the Malay-dominated landscape, said Tuesday the election showed "many Chinese rejected the hand of Malay friendship".
The rhetoric has sparked anger in the active social media world, with users of all races rejecting the comments.
The vote was touted as the first in the country's history in which the opposition had a chance to unseat the ruling coalition, which has ruled since independence in 1957.
However, Barisan retained a firm majority in parliament despite winning less than half of the popular vote, a factor blamed on self-serving gerrymandering and redistricting by Barisan over the years.
Leaders of Najib's United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), the main coalition party, are frequently accused by critics of casting the Chinese as bogeymen in a bid to maintain support from Muslim Malays.
Chinese so Stupid and easily trick by DAP ??? this is a joke. Look back history on MCA landslide
victory 10 election if not mistaken. MCA ask the Chinese to give them a chance. The
Chinese voter did and they won BIG. But after winning they soon forgotten their promises.
So politician are the ones who always use RACE to gain popularity and make the Rakyat
hate each other. Leadership by BAD Example.
Well, politicians have their rights to talk. That's where educated voters judge from there. Whether to vote for BN or Pakatan
Don't trick any rakyat either they are Chinese, Malays, Indian, etc are stupid! They have the clear eyes, clear brain to see and to think what is going wrong in the country and also the ruling regime! Instead blaming on chinese for turning their back on supporting the BN and UMNO use your intelligience to analyze why all the races are rising up to against you and your party! If you and your predecessors (especially the stupid mamak) can't use the brain to think and analyse the outcome of the election result then I would give a better advice to you is to step down.....because you ain't a good leader who have brain but doesn't know how to use it!
BTW: Chinese have more than 5000 years of history and Chinese had went through many wars and civil wars in the past!......that's why Chinese ancestors in the past always discourage their descendent to stir up any confrantation or wars and try to live peacefully with patience! But in term pushing too far.....only then Chinese will react and will take up arms to start a confrontation! So as a piece of good advise to you (Mr. Najib, UMNO and all the stupid mamak) don't simply try to take chinese as scapegoat of causing your party failure performance.....! Instead use your intelligience to reform your party!
A proverb said: Don't push a tiger too much it will jump over the wall and attack you!
As long as Malaysian of Chinese origin is still identified as Chinese, this will go on till kingdom come.
Some drastic change must be done, obstacles in the path of full integration must not be allowed.
I can positivel****entify some of the obstacle but most of the Chinese in Malaysia will not accept it.
In fact, in recent years the situation is getting worst, I know of Malaysian of Chinese origin litterally disassociate themselve from the country.
Oi Bapa Gostan
First you say "Apa Cina Mau". Then now "Cina dipermainkan PR"
We should ask you S.O.B - APA LU MAU?
We voted for you in previous elections and you got greedier. Soon forgetting your promise. SO you expect us to keep voting you to be in power so you can get greedier?
Go $(rew yourself
We may have a good,bad or foul temper but please keep it to ourselves. We can whack anyone till kingdom come but please avoid using foul languages and also avoid attacking any race/religion. If we can do that, then only can we see reform to this country. We need each other to stand strong. Thank you.
Most all we are sick of the corruptions & those incompetent government officials!!!
|Race politics is persempadanan kaum tidak memupuk perpaduan masyarakat dan kewujudan bangsa Malaysia utk jadi Negara Berjaya dan canggih maju dipentas dunia,tmemperbaiki dan meningkatkan taraf hidup rakyat dan menyumbang kepada idealisme berperikemanusiaan.|
More photos from News
- Ebola vaccine trials being fast-tracked: researchers
- Malaysia Airlines loss nearly doubles on MH370 impact
- Rooney gets nod as England captain
- Wayne Rooney named England captain
- Alonso set to join Bayern Munich
- Platini says he will not challenge Blatter at FIFA
- France rules out cooperation with Assad against Islamic State
- Ebola death toll 'could reach 20,000' before outbreak ends
- Ebola death toll passes 1,500 as regional crisis talks begin
- US says Russia directly involved in Ukraine fighting
- MH17 played up to break up solidarity, says Najib – Bernama
- Barisan must own up to sedition charges against Pakatan, says DAP
- Nine more remains from MH17 to return home on September 2 – Bernama
- PKR wants Putrajaya to stop sedition dragnet against Pakatan
- Malaysia jails six over 'nude games'
- More focus on talent management, staff engagement in Malaysia, survey shows
- MP Surendran charged with sedition for second time in 2 weeks
- Malaysia to apply shariah index from next year, says Najib – Bernama
- Vell Paari hits out at Palanivel over delays in naming Perak senator
- Malaysia, Australia to share costs for latest phase of MH370 search
- Ruler’;s request for more names to fill MB post creates impasse, says law expert
- Penang voluntary unit illegal as state governments have no say in security, says Wan Junaidi
- MB crisis shows Pakatan has lost moral high ground, says Soi Lek
- Many taking advantage of liberal space to make seditious remarks, says Wan Junaidi
- Anwar withdraws RM100m defamation suit against Syed Hamid