Muslim rebels involved in Malaysia: MNLF
Nur Misuari, who founded the Moro National Liberation Front in the late 1960s, confirmed "freedom fighters" from his group were part of the militia sent by a self-proclaimed sultan to claim the Malaysian state of Sabah.
"I cannot deny that some of them are known to be MNLF freedom fighters," Misuari told a news conference in Manila, although he insisted he was not personally involved.
"They went there without my knowledge. I have not ordered anyone to join them. It would be very irresponsible for anybody to implicate us."
Misuari made the comments while visiting Jamalul Kiram III, the self-anointed Sultan of Sulu, who sent between 100 and 300 men from the southern Philippines to Sabah on February 12 to press his ownership claim.
Malaysian security forces launched a major offensive on Tuesday to end the standoff, which has so far left at least 27 people dead, although the sultan's men reported that they had survived.
The MNLF "freedom fighters" earnt their battle experience during decades of armed struggle against the Philippine government that cost tens of thousands of lives.
The MNLF had fought for an independent state in the southern Philippines, while also claiming Sabah state as part of their ancestral homeland.
The group signed a peace pact with the Philippine government in 1996 which created a Muslim autonomous region in the south, and set aside the claim over Sabah.
The MNLF peace pact led to a less-compromising splinter group, the Moro Islamic Liberation front, continuing the battle for independence.
The MILF is now close to signing a final peace deal with the government, which ignores the Sabah claim completely and would lead to the MNLF losing political influence in the southern Philippines.
Observers have speculated MNLF members may have helped launch the Malaysia offensive because they feared they were losing power.
However Misuari insisted MNLF leaders were not involved directly in the Malaysia standoff, and even offered to go to Kuala Lumpur to mediate a peaceful solution.
Meanwhile on Tuesday, President Benigno Aquino's spokesman, Edwin Lacierda, said that the Philippine Navy had stopped 70 more people from getting across the sea border to help the militants.
When the MNLF is involved, Misuari is involved despite his denials which are expected. Certainly he is disqualified from being a mediator as he offered because it would be tantamount to Malaysia negotiating with Misuari & MNLF. There is no negotiation when our sovereignty is involved. Misuari is closely connected to Kiram as proven by his visit to the defunct sultan in Manila. So, Misuari is currently our enemy and those associated or having any understanding with him are our enemies too.
The Lahad Datu incident is only the beginning and a warning to us not to take security for granted especially in that porous border area. The security forces presence there needs to be beefed up and illegal immigrants must be deported as they can be a dangerous time bomb in our midst.
In the meantime, as Malaysians, let us realise that this situation calls for non-partisan response from us and we should not be polarised by party politics. To act or behave on the contrary is a sure sign on our part of being unpatriotic to Malaysia. This is not a "sandiwara" or a conspiracy staged by those in power as fatalities have been caused; hurt & injury suffered.
Isn't it early to claim success when there are reports that more militant will be coming in? If launch|ng aer|al bombings is considered success, the major super power nations out there in battle will be busy claiming all of those so-called 'success'
Additionally they bombed the target, it was reported that the bombing site was way off the location of the militants. And after sweeping the area, there is no report stating the bodies of militants are found. And yet we call it success.
"IGP: Enemies are still out there
Malaysian federal police chief Ismail Omar told reporters in a press conference hours after the initial attack that soldiers combing across a wide area of hilly plantation country were yet to find any dead militants."
Wow, this is beyond comprehension as what they say and what happened on site is totally conflicting.
Unless the success meant they carried out the assault without technical glitches on the weaponry part excluding the outcome of the mission, in that case yes.
These groups of militants are loosing battle ground in Philippines and now they are directing their attention to Sabah! If our government stil have the attitude of tiapa or they are my abang adik, or simply giving out IC to these foriegners just to secure their election votes then Sabah state will become a chaos state in the coming future!
Don't repeat the severe mistake that was done by Mamak! Who really bring disaster to a country. Who is really a traitor of the country!
MNLF is now trying to explore new oppotunities in Sabah. MNLF is a little frustrated in Mindanao when MILF managed to outdo MNLF in the latest Roadmap agreement with the Filipino government. MILF has done slightly better than MNLF in helping the Moros. In stead of accepting what is better, it has chosen to disagree. This simply shows MNLF leaders are not sincere to help the Moros to better off their lives. These are people who have completely lost directions after years of dominations.... Many Christian leaders in the Philippines too are so stupid to expect Malaysia to submit to the World Court. Sabah is already part of Malaysia - recognised by the UN. It is a de facto state of Malaysia. Who is so stupid to let any court decide whether my house is legally yours ??? Aquino has taken the right stand. But Malaysia has to get prepared to fight in case there is any joker trying to test our military power !!!
BUDAK BUDAK MAIN PASIR. don't slam me over this statement. I am not talking about our arm force, i am taking about the one giving the order.
More photos from News
- Lesotho PM heading home after 'coup'
- Kiev warns of 'great war' with Russia as its forces retreat
- SADC regional bloc to send observers to Lesotho after 'coup'
- Defending arming of Kurds, Merkel calls Islamic State a threat
- Greece close to emerging from recession
- Falcao's Manchester move ends Europe transfer boom
- Falcao leads Europe transfer frenzy
- Pakistan government considers crackdown on protesters
- Parents of tumour boy held in Spain as sympathy grows
- Eurozone manufacturing slows further in August
- Rites for MH17 victims carried out in orderly manner, says Jakim – Bernama
- Rayer arrested over involvement with anti-crime patrol unit
- Sarawak minister blames police for events leading to riot in stadium
- Cops release Penang exco Phee Boon Poh and PPS members
- State government calls on Penangites to take over community policing from patrol unit
- Hands off Unit Amal, PAS Youth chief tells minister
- Putrajaya’;s sledgehammer strategy might blow up in its face
- PPS not an outlaw, dangerous group, says DAP
- Malaysia refuses New Zealand activist entry
- UM law lecturer Azmi Sharom faces sedition charge tomorrow
- Pointless for Selangor Sultan to ask for more names, says legal expert
- ‘Sincere’ Rosmah defends her work for gifted children
- Reports of PPS members testing positive for drugs are lies, says Guan Eng
- No need for fatwa on sexual jihad, says minister
- Cops won’;t spare PAS’;s Unit Amal either, says home minister