Penang State backbencher employs first transgender
Seen as yet another first for Penang and perhaps Malaysia, a transgender has been engaged to assist Teh Yee Cheu oversee the transgender community’s welfare, after the proposal was tabled and approved in the State Assembly last week.
Teh who is the Tanjung Bungah representative, heads the panel with the support of both Pakatan Rakyat and Barisan National representatives, including State opposition leader, Jahara Hamid.
The committee, set to be formed within two months, aims to collect data and alleviate the status and social stigma associated with the transgender community. The committee plans to also conduct forums and spread public awareness on the issue.
“…they have rights over their bodies, and have a right to decide what gender they are most comfortable with,” said Teh.
At a press conference today (10/7/13), Teh, who proudly claims to walk the talk, announced that he had engaged transgender Hazreen Shaik Daud as his political secretary.
“I am thankful to YB Teh for giving me the opportunity to work with him,” said Hazreen, a 33 year old diploma holder who speaks fluent Mandarin and English besides the national language. Hazreen is expected to assume duties on July 15 and had previously worked for an NGO known as the Penang Family Health Development.
The demure and pretty ‘lady’ revealed her concerns over employment opportunities available to the transgender.
“Even with qualifications, we are turned down just because of how we look,” she said, adding that she would eventually want to operate her own boutique.
An edict, issued by the Fatwa Committee National Council of Islamic Religious Affairs Malaysia held on 13th December 1989, had declared that sex change was prohibited under the Shariah. According to Chong Eng, facilitator to the committee who also holds the State EXCO portfolio for Youth and Sports, Women, Family and Community Development claims that there are between 10 and 50 thousand transgender persons in Malaysia.
a man body. their existence do not deprive us anythg, hurt us, degrade or any othrs so just
take a step back let them a space and most important respect them
More photos from News
- No let-down as Peng reaches US Open last 16
- South Africa beat Zimbabwe despite Utseya hat-trick
- South Africa beat Zimbabwe in ODI clash
- US sends arms to bolster Lebanon army after Islamist incursion
- Islamic Jihad fighters parade after Gaza war
- Britain raises terror threat level on Iraq, Syria fears
- Ebola case in Senegal as outbreak hits fifth WAfrican country
- Senegal reports first case of Ebola
- Mercedes punish F1's Rosberg for Hamilton crash
- Brazil falls into recession as election looms
- Rais Yatim shows how to curb online seditious remarks – Bernama
- Dr M’;s criticism is an internal party matter, says Najib
- Najib says RM6 billion to MAS an investment, not bailout
- MRT Corp appoints Euro firm to probe fatal accident – Bernama
- Malaysia's Sime Darby Q4 profit down 9%
- Malaysia Airlines to slash 6,000 jobs in survival bid
- Khazanah denies RM6 billion as bailout in MAS turnaround
- Kidex pledges RM60 million to MBPJ
- Malaysia Airlines to slash 6,000 jobs under rescue plan
- Khazanah wants MAS to keep its name in overhaul plan
- Aviation commission, MAS Act proposed as part of restructuring plan, says Khazanah
- Petronas abruptly shuts secondary refining unit, say sources
- Home Ministry monitoring travels of Muslim men of fighting age, says Wan Junaidi
- Malaysia Airlines to trim staff, routes in reform plan
- MAS to cut 30% of staff, move HQ to KLIA