PM Najib in Sabah; to visit Tanduo to see for himself
FELDA SAHABAT, LAHAD DATU: The Prime Minister is expected anytime in Sabah. He is said to be on his way to Felda Sahabat and would arrive at any time now to get an on-the-ground briefing at the Command Centre in Felda Residence Sahabat.
“Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is on the way to ground zero to see the situation for himself,” said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein. “He has been in constant contact so far said Hishamuddin,”
Meanwhile United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging an end to the violence in Sabah and encouraging dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation. ”The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region.
“He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards,” his spokesman said in a statement on the UN website.
Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Sabah, Malaysia
“The Secretary-General is closely following the situation in Sabah, Malaysia. He urges an end to the violence and encourages dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation.
“The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region. He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards.” – ends
Early this morning, renewed shooting has been reported between Malaysian security forces and the Sulu raiders Thursday morning. Several fighter jets were seen flying over Felda Sahabat at about 8:35am.
The aircraft were believed to have been heading toward the direction of Kampung Tanduo and Kampung Tanjung Batu where Sulu gunmen have been involved in firefights with Malaysian security forces.
Borneo Insider has been told that at least two armoured personnel carriers (APCs) have moved in at Tanjung Batu and has been firing heavily at selected targets.
At 9:32AM, two fighter jets screamed overhead Lahad Datu and was seen heading in the direction of Tawau.
There has been a flurry of activity with Nuri choppers taking off from Lahad Datu and headed for Felda Sahabat, most likely ferrying fresh troops.
The situation in Lahad Datu remains calm with almost all the shops open and people going about their daily routine.
Schools however, remained closed. In Semporna a source claimed hearing gunshots at about 11pm Wednesday, but this was not confirmed by the police.
More to come: Stay with Borneo Insider as we will bring you the news as it comes
- Crimea votes for independence ahead of referendum to join Russia
- Crimea assembly votes for independence from Ukraine
- Yanukovych says still president, expects return to Kiev
- Yanukovych says legitimate Ukraine president, expects to return
- German recovery on track as imports, exports rise in January
- State of emergency in Bangkok to end soon
- Swedish journalist shot dead in central Kabul
- 5.5 million children affected by Syrian war
- Militant Islamist website calls for attacks on France and Hollande
- Chinese passengers' relatives decline airline cash
- Interpol says second passenger with stolen passport also an Iranian
- Putrajaya to invoke law to buy four water firms under Selangor deal
- Maritime agency says no information about signals from missing plane
- Disappearance of Malaysian plane unlikely a terror attack: Interpol
- MAS clarifies about people who did not board MH370
- Iran offers help to probe its citizens who flew on stolen passports
- Iranian people-smuggling link as Malaysia jet search widens
- Malaysian military now reveals it tracked MH370 to Malacca straits
- Anwar’;s conviction boosts Malay support for Pakatan, says Dr Wan Azizah
- Iran offers help with probe into missing Malaysian airliner
- Missing plane unlikely to be terrorist incident, says Interpol chief
- Agonising wait by family of passenger made worse by rumours of hijack
- Tajudin fails in appeal to strike out two Celcom suits – Bernama
- No sign of missing plane, says Hishammuddin