PM Najib in Sabah; to visit Tanduo to see for himself
FELDA SAHABAT, LAHAD DATU: The Prime Minister is expected anytime in Sabah. He is said to be on his way to Felda Sahabat and would arrive at any time now to get an on-the-ground briefing at the Command Centre in Felda Residence Sahabat.
“Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is on the way to ground zero to see the situation for himself,” said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein. “He has been in constant contact so far said Hishamuddin,”
Meanwhile United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging an end to the violence in Sabah and encouraging dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation. ”The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region.
“He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards,” his spokesman said in a statement on the UN website.
Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Sabah, Malaysia
“The Secretary-General is closely following the situation in Sabah, Malaysia. He urges an end to the violence and encourages dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation.
“The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region. He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards.” – ends
Early this morning, renewed shooting has been reported between Malaysian security forces and the Sulu raiders Thursday morning. Several fighter jets were seen flying over Felda Sahabat at about 8:35am.
The aircraft were believed to have been heading toward the direction of Kampung Tanduo and Kampung Tanjung Batu where Sulu gunmen have been involved in firefights with Malaysian security forces.
Borneo Insider has been told that at least two armoured personnel carriers (APCs) have moved in at Tanjung Batu and has been firing heavily at selected targets.
At 9:32AM, two fighter jets screamed overhead Lahad Datu and was seen heading in the direction of Tawau.
There has been a flurry of activity with Nuri choppers taking off from Lahad Datu and headed for Felda Sahabat, most likely ferrying fresh troops.
The situation in Lahad Datu remains calm with almost all the shops open and people going about their daily routine.
Schools however, remained closed. In Semporna a source claimed hearing gunshots at about 11pm Wednesday, but this was not confirmed by the police.
More to come: Stay with Borneo Insider as we will bring you the news as it comes
- Dragon supply capsule reaches orbiting ISS
- Liverpool edge Norwich to close on title
- Suarez reaches historic 30-goal mark
- First bodies pulled from submerged Korean ferry
- Pope makes Easter plea for Ukraine peace after gunbattle
- Pope pleads for peace in Ukraine, Syria
- Pope leads Easter celebrations marred by Ukraine
- Pope Francis makes call to spread faith at Easter vigil
- Saudi woman defies driving ban, husband fined
- Hamilton seals first F1 hat-trick in China
- Government may install temporary pipe to channel water directly to Sg Langat – Bernama
- Kedah MB hopes Albukhary International University will not be closed – Bernama
- Syabas hopeful first, third, fourth stage of water rationing to end April 30 – Bernama
- Putrajaya to spend RM1.66 million in 2 months to brief public on GST
- RMAF officer arrested in Texas for alleged arms smuggling
- Government promises more financial aid for families of MH370 passengers and crew
- American cable TV exec fired over MH370 aid drive, says report
- No disciplinary action against Langkawi MP by Umno, says Tengku Adnan
- Tears flow as Penang bids farewell to Karpal
- Enforcement, punishment needed for graft-free Malaysia, not a run
- Friendship Park in Putrajaya to symbolise China-Malaysia ties – Bernama
- PM leads 3km ‘anti-corruption’; run in city centre – Bernama
- In state eulogy, Guan Eng hails Karpal’;s great fighting spirit
- DAP to hold memorial services to pay tribute to Karpal Singh
- Utusan says MB heads to roll in two states