PM Najib in Sabah; to visit Tanduo to see for himself
FELDA SAHABAT, LAHAD DATU: The Prime Minister is expected anytime in Sabah. He is said to be on his way to Felda Sahabat and would arrive at any time now to get an on-the-ground briefing at the Command Centre in Felda Residence Sahabat.
“Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is on the way to ground zero to see the situation for himself,” said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein. “He has been in constant contact so far said Hishamuddin,”
Meanwhile United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging an end to the violence in Sabah and encouraging dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation. ”The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region.
“He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards,” his spokesman said in a statement on the UN website.
Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Sabah, Malaysia
“The Secretary-General is closely following the situation in Sabah, Malaysia. He urges an end to the violence and encourages dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation.
“The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region. He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards.” – ends
Early this morning, renewed shooting has been reported between Malaysian security forces and the Sulu raiders Thursday morning. Several fighter jets were seen flying over Felda Sahabat at about 8:35am.
The aircraft were believed to have been heading toward the direction of Kampung Tanduo and Kampung Tanjung Batu where Sulu gunmen have been involved in firefights with Malaysian security forces.
Borneo Insider has been told that at least two armoured personnel carriers (APCs) have moved in at Tanjung Batu and has been firing heavily at selected targets.
At 9:32AM, two fighter jets screamed overhead Lahad Datu and was seen heading in the direction of Tawau.
There has been a flurry of activity with Nuri choppers taking off from Lahad Datu and headed for Felda Sahabat, most likely ferrying fresh troops.
The situation in Lahad Datu remains calm with almost all the shops open and people going about their daily routine.
Schools however, remained closed. In Semporna a source claimed hearing gunshots at about 11pm Wednesday, but this was not confirmed by the police.
More to come: Stay with Borneo Insider as we will bring you the news as it comes
- Egypt offers military training to Libya, cites Islamic State threat
- Ai Weiwei meditates on freedom in Alcatraz show
- 7 dead after twin suicide attacks on army buses in Kabul
- Hong Kong democracy protesters, officials mark uneasy National Day
- Samsung rejects claims of Galaxy Note defect
- Once ignored, violinist Bell plays Washington public encore
- Ailing North Korean leader sends national day message to China
- 12 dead as trains collide in northern India
- Twin suicide attacks on army buses in Kabul kill 7
- California bans paparazzi drones
- Penang councillors support sacking of PAS whip
- Sidang Injil Borneo’;s ‘Allah’ case can go to High Court, rules appellate court
- Probe into 1MDB financial misconduct now, says anti-graft group
- Housing group wants stamp duty removed when GST kicks in
- Azmi Sharom strikes a first as court allows review of Sedition Act
- Karpal’;s nephew latest to be hauled up for sedition
- Expect more unrest if foreign workers’; welfare neglected, warns MTUC
- Barisan won’;t profit from suppressing rakyat, says ex-Umno leader
- Task force delays aircraft tracking plans promised after MH370 mystery
- PAS calls on Penang to reinstate sacked councillor
- Politicians main cause of divisiveness, says Gerakan
- Lowest-bracket wage earners’; share declines to 47%
- ATM hacking no threat to banking network, says deputy minister – Bernama
- Minister denies promising to divulge details of incinerator project tender – Bernama
- Khairy casts doubts on Games’; dope-testing process, to appeal gold medalist’;s expulsion