PM Najib in Sabah; to visit Tanduo to see for himself
FELDA SAHABAT, LAHAD DATU: The Prime Minister is expected anytime in Sabah. He is said to be on his way to Felda Sahabat and would arrive at any time now to get an on-the-ground briefing at the Command Centre in Felda Residence Sahabat.
“Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is on the way to ground zero to see the situation for himself,” said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein. “He has been in constant contact so far said Hishamuddin,”
Meanwhile United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is urging an end to the violence in Sabah and encouraging dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation. ”The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region.
“He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards,” his spokesman said in a statement on the UN website.
Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Sabah, Malaysia
“The Secretary-General is closely following the situation in Sabah, Malaysia. He urges an end to the violence and encourages dialogue among all the parties for a peaceful resolution of the situation.
“The Secretary-General expresses concern about the impact this situation may have on the civilian population, including migrants in the region. He urges all parties to facilitate delivery of humanitarian assistance and act in full respect of international human rights norms and standards.” – ends
Early this morning, renewed shooting has been reported between Malaysian security forces and the Sulu raiders Thursday morning. Several fighter jets were seen flying over Felda Sahabat at about 8:35am.
The aircraft were believed to have been heading toward the direction of Kampung Tanduo and Kampung Tanjung Batu where Sulu gunmen have been involved in firefights with Malaysian security forces.
Borneo Insider has been told that at least two armoured personnel carriers (APCs) have moved in at Tanjung Batu and has been firing heavily at selected targets.
At 9:32AM, two fighter jets screamed overhead Lahad Datu and was seen heading in the direction of Tawau.
There has been a flurry of activity with Nuri choppers taking off from Lahad Datu and headed for Felda Sahabat, most likely ferrying fresh troops.
The situation in Lahad Datu remains calm with almost all the shops open and people going about their daily routine.
Schools however, remained closed. In Semporna a source claimed hearing gunshots at about 11pm Wednesday, but this was not confirmed by the police.
More to come: Stay with Borneo Insider as we will bring you the news as it comes
- Ryder Cup wildcard challenge for McGinley and Watson
- Ukraine says fighting Russian tank battalion for control of Luhansk airport
- Man United agree Falcao loan deal - reports
- Australia leans toward buying Japan subs to upgrade fleet
- Head of Taiwan’;s TransAsia Airways quits after plane crash
- Novartis Japan admits concealing drug side effects
- Hong Kong protests loom after China rules out democracy
- Knifeman kills 3 in rampage at China school
- Mass demo cancelled as Lesotho faces power vacuum
- North Korea test-fires suspected missile into sea
- Sarawak minister blames police for events leading to riot in stadium
- Penang exco Phee Boon Poh released, PPS members may be out tonight
- State government calls on Penangites to take over community policing from patrol unit
- Hands off Unit Amal, PAS Youth chief tells minister
- Putrajaya’;s sledgehammer strategy might blow up in its face
- PPS not an outlaw, dangerous group, says DAP
- Malaysia refuses New Zealand activist entry
- UM law lecturer Azmi Sharom faces sedition charge tomorrow
- Pointless for Selangor Sultan to ask for more names, says legal expert
- ‘Sincere’ Rosmah defends her work for gifted children
- Reports of PPS members testing positive for drugs are lies, says Guan Eng
- No need for fatwa on sexual jihad, says minister
- Cops won’;t spare PAS’;s Unit Amal either, says home minister
- Umno Youth wooing Pengkalan Kubor young voters – Bernama
- Guan Eng asking for it, Zahid says on PPS