Search continues for 6 missing crew in Hong Kong
File picture shows a construction barge in the morning fog in Hong Kong on April 14, 2012. Hong Kong search teams held out hope Friday for six boat crew members missing at sea after a collision, as officials investigated the cause of the latest incident to hit the city's busy waterways.
It comes after a ferry crash claimed 39 lives in October in the city's worst sea disaster in decades, and also follows a collision between a passenger ferry and a barge earlier this month, in which more than 30 people were injured.
The 11 crew from a 96-metre-long (315 foot) boat carrying construction waste were thrown into the water after it collided with another vessel and started to sink off Stanley, on the southeast of Hong Kong Island Thursday evening.
Five were rescued but search teams were still looking for the other six, all from mainland China, as the light faded Friday.
"The priority of the marine department now is to find the six missing crew, not their bodies," a spokeswoman told AFP.
She said investigators were looking at whether the boat crews tried to take evasive action before the crash.
After poor visibility hampered the overnight search, nine boats and a helicopter took part in the efforts Friday, although the aircraft was called off after about five hours because of fog.
The marine department said visibility at the time of the crash was measured at 0.5 nautical miles (0.93 kilometres).
A police spokeswoman said officers had taken statements from seven crew members from the two boats.
The city's worst maritime catastrophe in 40 years last October saw a high-speed passenger ferry collide with a pleasure boat carrying around 120 people to watch national day fireworks.
The captains of the boats involved were last week each charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and face life in prison if convicted.
Fatal accidents are rare in Hong Kong despite its crowded waters, which often see high-speed hydrofoils vying for space with tourist junks, luxury yachts and a century-old public ferry system.
- Trinh-Duc stuns Clermont with last-gasp penalty
- UK raises alert level as Syria refugees top 3 million
- Second seed Halep crashes out of US Open
- Halep, Kerber toppled, valiant Venus falls at US Open
- No let-down as Peng reaches US Open last 16
- IMF approves $1.4 billion aid payment for Ukraine
- South Africa beat Zimbabwe despite Utseya hat-trick
- US sends arms to bolster Lebanon army after Islamist incursion
- Islamic Jihad fighters parade after Gaza war
- Britain raises terror threat level on Iraq, Syria fears
- Selangor PAS to discuss candidate for Selangor MB – Bernama
- Rais Yatim shows how to curb online seditious remarks – Bernama
- Dr M’;s criticism is an internal party matter, says Najib
- Najib says RM6 billion to MAS an investment, not bailout
- MRT Corp appoints Euro firm to probe fatal accident – Bernama
- Malaysia's Sime Darby Q4 profit down 9%
- Malaysia Airlines to slash 6,000 jobs in survival bid
- Khazanah denies RM6 billion as bailout in MAS turnaround
- Kidex pledges RM60 million to MBPJ
- Malaysia Airlines to slash 6,000 jobs under rescue plan
- Khazanah wants MAS to keep its name in overhaul plan
- Aviation commission, MAS Act proposed as part of restructuring plan, says Khazanah
- Petronas abruptly shuts secondary refining unit, say sources
- Home Ministry monitoring travels of Muslim men of fighting age, says Wan Junaidi
- Malaysia Airlines to trim staff, routes in reform plan