Strong 6.3 quake strikes off eastern Indonesia
File image from the US Geological Survey (USGS) shows an earthquake measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale displayed on a seismograph
The quake struck at 10:24 am local time (0124 GMT), 351 kilometres (217 miles) east-northeast of the East Timor capital Dili at a relatively shallow depth of 10 km, the US Geological Survey said.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue any alerts following the tremor in the remote region at the eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago between the islands of Timor and New Guinea.
In an initial assessment, the USGS said there was a low likelihood of damage or casualties.
Indonesian officials said they had not received any reports of casualties or damage so far.
"From data, the epicentre is quite a distance from the nearest cities and the intensity of shaking is not destructive," Suharjono, the technical head of Indonesia's geophysics and meteorology agency, told AFP.
An AFP correspondent in Dili said no tremor was felt.
Johanes Huwae, a police official in the Maluku provincial capital Ambon, one of the cities closest to the epicentre, said "there was no shaking, everything's safe", while the national disaster management agency reported "slight shaking for three to five seconds" in Southwest Maluku.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
A 6.1-magnitude quake that struck Aceh province on Sumatra island in July killed at least 35 people and left thousands homeless.
- Dusty home town remembers Garcia Marquez with plenty of rum
- Cavani scores brace as PSG win League Cup
- Pope makes call to spread faith at Easter vigil
- Easter war of words breaks out between Ukraine and Russia
- Historic mass in Turkish-held north Cyprus 'like a miracle'
- Juventus still on course for record
- Immobile moves closer to Italy World Cup spot
- Federer, Wawrinka into all-Swiss Monte Carlo final
- Magnitude 7.5 earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Christians mark Holy Fire rite on eve of Easter in Jerusalem
- Despite Karpal’;s death, Anwar has five days left for sodomy appeal in apex court
- We love you, Tiger of Jelutong, grandchildren bid Karpal farewell
- More seats will check gerrymandering, says opposition
- Learner drivers can take test in auto cars from June – Bernama
- Umno MP apologises for 'careless' remarks on Karpal
- Ex-prime minister Abdullah backs Kelantan’;s hudud bill
- MH370 search at 'critical juncture': Malaysia
- Poll on Putrajaya’s transparency on M370 purely speculative, says Hishammuddin
- Public can pay last respects to Karpal from 8.30am tomorrow – Bernama
- Church leaders pay tribute to Karpal
- Hishammuddin says search for MH370 in next two days ‘critical’;
- Underwater search for MH370 to be completed in 5 to 7 days, say Australian officials
- Penang to rename road in honour of Karpal Singh
- He was our role model, our hero, say Karpal’s sons
- Remains of Karpal’s aide to be flown back to India