Vietnam floods toll 'rises to 42'
This picture taken on November 16, 2013 shows a Vietnamese rescue team transporting villagers to a safer place in the central province of Quang Ngai
Nearly 430,000 houses have been inundated, damaged or destroyed, the flood and storm control department said in an online report, adding rains have now slackened and water has receded in some areas.
Local authorities had described the floods -- that hit the UNESCO-listed town of Hoi An and the former imperial City of Hue, along with other areas -- as the worst for over a decade, saying they had caused tens of millions of dollars worth of damage.
Media reports said water discharged by several hydropower plants in the region contributed to the scale of the flooding.
However Vietnam escaped the worst of Typhoon Haiyan 12 days ago as it weakened before striking the country's coast.
Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated before the arrival of the typhoon, which had wreaked devastation on the Philippines.
- Deadline looms for buyers of struggling Cyprus Airways
- Apple says celebs hacked in 'targeted attack'
- Apple: celebs hacked in 'targeted attack', no iCloud breach
- Apple: no breach in 'targeted' hack on celebrities
- IMF warns Ukraine may need extra $19 bn in help
- IMF warns West may need to boost $17 bn Ukraine rescue
- Islamic State claims to behead second US reporter
- Islamic State claims to behead second US reporter: video
- 'Islamic State' claims beheading of second US reporter: video
- French finance minister hints at cut in 2015 savings target
- With academic’;s case, Najib’;s sedition dragnet now an outrageous farce, says Anwar
- English to be made compulsory pass at public universities – Bernama
- Has Putrajaya gone bonkers, asks the DAP
- Maxis Communications, Anandakrishnan deny allegations in India
- DAP claim Umno ‘manufacturing cases’; against opposition, academic
- Dr Mahathir praises Malaysian trade union movement – Bernama
- Claiming comments taken out of context, Zahid says only DAP arrogant
- Sedition law used to create fear, silence thought, say lawyers
- Move forward with unity and prove Zahid wrong, says head of moderates movement
- EPF reports 13.5% growth in investment income to RM10.4 billion
- Fight critics fairly in civil courts, Guan Eng dares IGP
- Najib outlines main objectives in developing higher education – Bernama
- Pilots pay last respects to fallen MH17 captain – Bernama
- Divorce proceedings part of a political ploy, says Mahmud Abu Bekir
- Malaysians will fight on, activists tell Putrajaya after professor caught in sedition dragnet