Vietnam floods toll 'rises to 42'
This picture taken on November 16, 2013 shows a Vietnamese rescue team transporting villagers to a safer place in the central province of Quang Ngai
Nearly 430,000 houses have been inundated, damaged or destroyed, the flood and storm control department said in an online report, adding rains have now slackened and water has receded in some areas.
Local authorities had described the floods -- that hit the UNESCO-listed town of Hoi An and the former imperial City of Hue, along with other areas -- as the worst for over a decade, saying they had caused tens of millions of dollars worth of damage.
Media reports said water discharged by several hydropower plants in the region contributed to the scale of the flooding.
However Vietnam escaped the worst of Typhoon Haiyan 12 days ago as it weakened before striking the country's coast.
Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated before the arrival of the typhoon, which had wreaked devastation on the Philippines.
- Argentine economy minister flies in for debt talks
- Gaza death toll passes 1,200 amid latest talk of truce
- Twitter flies on surprisingly strong numbers
- Twitter loss widens but user numbers propel shares
- Twitter loss widens, revenue surges
- Paris tourists share picnics with rats at the Louvre
- Liverpool sign Belgian World Cup star Origi
- US Ebola doctor 'weak and quite ill,' says colleague
- Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- Dozens killed in terror attack in China's Xinjiang: Xinhua
- PKR leaders seek Nik Aziz help in Selangor crisis
- Dutch police receive 150 MH17 crash images, videos
- Malaysia can use security act to try MH17 culprit, says Wan Junaidi – Bernama
- MAS flight MH136 stops takeoff to avoid crashing into jet
- WhatsApp texts show PAS can’t be trusted, say social media users
- Muhyiddin worries MB change may bode ill for Selangor water project – Bernama
- It was only a study, Zuhdi says of contentious WhatsApp texts
- DAP joins PKR in censuring PAS over controversial WhatsApp message
- PAS’s non-Muslim supporters to abide by leadership’s call on position in Pakatan
- Najib congratulates gold medal Games winners – Bernama
- This is all about Hadi v moderates in PAS
- PAS moves to distance party from viral WhatsApp text
- MAS hit with wave of cancellations, says report
- PKR hits out at PAS after leaked WhatsApp message
- Retire, PAS member tells Anwar for dragging Malaysians into his personal agenda