Updated: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 08:18:43 GMT | By The Malaysian Insider : Malaysia

Najib’;s words not reassuring, say families of MH370 passengers

The families of the passengers of the missing MH370 airplane who heard the prime minister’s latest announcement on the Malaysia Airlines flight said they were neither reassured nor comforted by his words. The uncle of one passenger said after eight days of waiting, the prime minister should have been able to give them a more definite answer....


Malaysia Insider

Malaysia Insider

The families of the passengers of the missing MH370 airplane who heard the prime minister’s latest announcement on the Malaysia Airlines flight said they were neither reassured nor comforted by his words.

The uncle of one passenger said after eight days of waiting, the prime minister should have been able to give them a more definite answer.

"I don't feel that was it. There must be something else here. They are hiding something from us," Zulkifli Zakaria told The Malaysian Insider, after Datuk Seri Najib Razak delivered a statement to the media this afternoon.

"We are not happy with how things are being handled," he said.

Zulkifli, whose nephew Muhammad Razahan Zamani and his wife Norli Akmar Hamid were onboard the plane, also said the information should have been made known to them earlier.

He said many others in the room at Everly Hotel in Putrajaya listening to Najib’s announcement appeared unhappy.

"There were no shouting, screaming... but I could see the looks on their face. Even I and my family members did our best to be patient. Our mother asked us not to create a scene. So we abided by her wish," said Zulkifli.

He arrived here with Muhammad Razahan's grandmother two nights ago to give moral support to his family.

Echoing the same sentiment was the relative of Ukraine nationals Chustrak Oleg Ukraine, 45, and Deineka Sergii Ukraine, 45.

The relative, who declined to be named, said that the information announced by Najib was incomplete.

"We want more. It is not complete," he said.

The Ukraine nationals, Muhammad Razahan and wife were among 227 passengers and 12 crew onboard MH370.

More than 100 family members of the passengers have been staying at the Everly Hotel in Sepang while waiting for updates on the missing aircraft.

Out of 239 people of the flight, 38 of them are Malaysian, 159 Chinese nationals and the rest from 12 other countries including Indonesia and India.

Najib earlier today said the search for the missing plane would now be expanded to areas beyond Thailand to Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan in the north, and beyond Indonesia in the south based on new satellite data.

He said the aircraft’s last contact was at 8.11am, north of the Strait of Malacca.

Najib also said investigations showed the passenger jet's movements and shutdown of communication links were a deliberate act, but stopped short of calling it a hijack.

Investigators had confirmed that an aircraft tracked by military radar was the lost Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, after its communications were likely switched off before it reached the east coast of Malaysia a week ago, he said.

"Despite media reports the plane was hijacked, I wish to be very clear, we are still investigating all possibilities as to what caused MH370 to deviate," Najib read from a statement at a packed press conference.

He said investigators had confirmed that the aircraft tracked by military radar was the lost plane, after its communications were likely switched off before it reached the east coast of Malaysia a week ago.

Several earlier reports had quoted an unnamed Malaysian official as confirming speculation that the jet had been hijacked. – March 15, 2014.

0Comments