Adele, 'Blackadder' stars honoured by the queen
British singer-songwriter Adele performs on stage at the BRIT Awards 2012 in London. Adele and "Blackadder" stars Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson were among those given awards in this year's Queen's Birthday Honours announced late Friday.
Adele, 25, was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE), which she adds to an already bulging trophy cabinet of several Grammys and an Oscar for the James Bond song "Skyfall".
Atkinson, the star of the hugely popular British comedies "Blackadder" and the later "Mr Bean" series, was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).
The 58-year-old said the award, announced to mark Queen Elizabeth II's official birthday, was a "genuine surprise and a great honour".
He was upstaged however by Robinson, 66, who played his long-suffering side-kick Baldrick and who received a knighthood.
Fittingly, the two men were honoured on the eve of the 30th anniversary of the first episode of "Blackadder" on June 15, 1983.
Robinson, who went on to present a popular television series about archaeology, said he was "thrilled, flattered and a little gob-smacked" to get the honour.
"I also pledge that from this day on I'll slaughter all unruly dragons and rescue any damsels in distress who request my help," added the newly named knight of the realm.
Among the 1,180 people who received awards this year were singer-songwriter PJ Harvey (MBE), sculptor Anish Kapoor (knighthood), author Joanne Harris (MBE) and artist Grayson Perry (CBE).
Mike Stratton, who played a leading role in the Human Genome Project, was knighted, while Stephen Myers, who worked on the Large Hadron Collider to help find the Higgs boson, was given an OBE.
- Israel-Palestinian talks soon in Egypt: official
- Israel to continue 'defensive' operations during truce
- Griezmann looking to learn from Atletico teammates
- US stocks tumble 2% in broad sell-off
- Powerful Taiwan gas explosions kill 20, injure 270
- Ebola-hit west Africa launches $100mn battle plan
- Gaza 'miracle baby' dies over complications, power cuts
- Imam of China’;s biggest mosque killed in Xinjiang
- Blasts as experts reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- World powers must hold Israel accountable, says UN human rights boss
- Straw poll gives peek into restive feeling in Sabah, Sarawak
- Security around MH17 site still 'very unstable': Dutch police
- Funerals for Malaysian MH17 victims to be announced soon, says Wee – Bernama
- Najib determined to bring back Malaysian remains from MH17 site
- Explosions heard close to MH17 crash site in Ukraine: AFP
- Dutch, Australian experts reach MH17 crash site: OSCE
- Remains of 80 bodies still at MH17 crash site, reports UK daily
- Both sides must stop fighting at MH17 crash site: Malaysia PM
- Family of MH17 victims fear there will be no remains, no closure
- Karpal’;s driver pleads not guilty to dangerous, reckless driving