Adele, 'Blackadder' stars honoured by the queen
British singer-songwriter Adele performs on stage at the BRIT Awards 2012 in London. Adele and "Blackadder" stars Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson were among those given awards in this year's Queen's Birthday Honours announced late Friday.
Adele, 25, was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE), which she adds to an already bulging trophy cabinet of several Grammys and an Oscar for the James Bond song "Skyfall".
Atkinson, the star of the hugely popular British comedies "Blackadder" and the later "Mr Bean" series, was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE).
The 58-year-old said the award, announced to mark Queen Elizabeth II's official birthday, was a "genuine surprise and a great honour".
He was upstaged however by Robinson, 66, who played his long-suffering side-kick Baldrick and who received a knighthood.
Fittingly, the two men were honoured on the eve of the 30th anniversary of the first episode of "Blackadder" on June 15, 1983.
Robinson, who went on to present a popular television series about archaeology, said he was "thrilled, flattered and a little gob-smacked" to get the honour.
"I also pledge that from this day on I'll slaughter all unruly dragons and rescue any damsels in distress who request my help," added the newly named knight of the realm.
Among the 1,180 people who received awards this year were singer-songwriter PJ Harvey (MBE), sculptor Anish Kapoor (knighthood), author Joanne Harris (MBE) and artist Grayson Perry (CBE).
Mike Stratton, who played a leading role in the Human Genome Project, was knighted, while Stephen Myers, who worked on the Large Hadron Collider to help find the Higgs boson, was given an OBE.
- Phelps tops 100m fly qualifying in return
- AFP photographer picks up eight prizes in 2014
- Zimmer to buy Biomet for $13.35 bn
- Proposed US rules leave open Internet fast lanes
- 'Chosen One' banner removed after Moyes sacking
- China approves jail for rare wild animal eaters
- UK asks Muslim women to report would-be Syria jihadists
- Bloody souvenir 'not from decapitated French King Louis XVI'
- Janet Yellen, Miley Cyrus odd bedfellows in Time’;s list of 100 most influential
- Pope in hot water over ‘personal’; phone calls
- A month after ‘MH370 ended in Indian Ocean’;, Najib not ready to declare aircraft, passengers lost
- Malaysia's Anwar gets Susan Rice meeting
- Putrajaya submits early report on flight MH370, but won’t publicise it, says CNN
- Armed pirates siphon Thai tanker oil cargo off Malaysia
- It’s Obama’s right to see Anwar or not, says Dr Mahathir – Bernama
- Tuhan Harun case postponed again to July 22 – Bernama
- What if flight MH370 is never found?
- New law to give Sarawak natives freedom in purchasing customary rights land
- Rafizi rebuts deputy minister’;s denial on grant given to company favoured by Najib
- Anwar says court was biased in his sodomy appeal