Humans to go extinct in 100 years, scientist predicts
Fenner cited overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change as the primary factors which will drive mankind into extinction.
Professor Fenner's voice is important and well-regarded because of his instrumental role in the global eradication of smallpox. He has had a life-long interest in environmental issues, and is a recipient of many illustrious awards, including the WHO (World Health Organization) medal.
Perhaps infinitely more worrisome is Fenner's confidence that the situation is irreversible. While there are currently efforts to grapple with those issues, he asserted that we are beyond the point of no-return due to the magnitude of these effects we have had on Earth since the Industrial Age. He said they have come to rival the impact of ice ages or comet crashes.
The professor noted that while climate change is only at its infancy, it will probably be the force behind our extinction. He also predicted that Earth's ever-increasing population will result in more violent conflicts over food and other resources.
Humans are too busy trying to outdo each other, trying to be the riches guy on the block, drive big cars, live in mansions, as if we can ive forever. The truth is none of us will live past 100 years, while 80 is a probably too old to do anything useful. Does it really matter if the earth blows up tomorrow, when we dont even live well today?
Overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change, huh...
1. The total land size of Earth is ~150 MILLION square km. Let's assume that humanity can only survive on 40% of that surface (the rest being desert, forests, mountains, Greenland etc), which is 60 million square km. There are currently 7 billion people on Earth, which is roughly 0.008 square km per person. Which doesn't sound like much, but that's equal to 8.5 thousand square metres or ~2 ACRES of land per person. GIven modern farming techniques, I assure you that 1 acre of land can provide sufficient food for over 16 people. Thank the late Norman Borlaugh for that. Overpopulation is not going to be an issue, especially with birth rates declining in many Western countries.
2. Forests still cover 18% of the world's land area, and with concerted efforts, a great deal of reforestation is going on in developed nations as well as China. In addition, most nations at least pay lip service to the idea of national reserves. But the major point is that humans are the only species who extensively change their environment to suit them, and not the other way around. I think we can hack it even if the world became all farmland and concrete jungle.
3. Climate change... ah, remember the old days when it was called global warming? Except that sometimes, the world cooled down. Oh, can't have that, we'll have to call it climate change, so whether it warmed up or cooled down, it would be our fault. Never mind that one volcanic explosion would release 1000x the so-called greenhouse gases that ALL of our industrial activities (including our vehicles) put out in a year.
Prof Fenner is positively Malthusian in his outlook. Malthus was dead wrong, and excepting the Second Coming, I'll willing to bet that two centuries from now, somebody will say that Prof X was positively Fennerian in his outlook.
Prediction is good for everyone to let us get ready when GOD comes.There are many
factors that could cause the end of the world..it is a very old Earth indeed..God would favour those who would ask for forgiveness of their sins and to know Him.Let us love one another,forgive and forget the past...show less of history..we should have more students exchange programme...children mingling with various races...war can be eradicated...the end of the world may not come so soon
FROM the Bible;- Book of revelation Chapter 21; verses1 to 4
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying "Now the dwelling of Godis with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people. and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
More photos from News
- BN mulls ideas to regain trust after popular vote loss
- Press statement: Say No to Racial Politics
- Dr. M: DAP swayed Malays to view BN as corrupt
- GE13 an urban, not Chinese swing, say analysts
- MCA President will not defend seat in party poll this year
- Anwar will continue as opposition leader in parliament - Kit Siang
- GE13: New Menteri Besar for Kelantan
- Malaysia PM faces limited future after worst electoral showing
- GE13: Continued voter support for women candidates
- GE13: Triumphant BN seen losing popular vote
- One of three Hong Kong tourists injured in Kota Kinabalu train accident passes away
- Najib breathes easier after Dr. M's pow wow
- 2014 Budget to be tabled in Parliament on Oct 25
- Singapore, Indonesia tussle over haze problem
- Water disruption in Klang Valley, Hulu Selangor
- Singapore, Malaysia choking on haze from Indonesia
- Singapore chokes on haze from Indonesia forest fires
- Indonesia’s SBY concerned about Malaysia’s alleged electoral fraud, says Anwar
- Singapore hit by haze from Indonesia forest fires
- Don't reject government by believing opposition lies, Najib tells students