Breast milk protein may reverse antibiotic resistance
A doctor checks the quality of donated milk at the human milk bank in Lima, on January 31, 2013. A protein in breast milk may help reverse antibiotic resistance and offer a new path against superbugs that cause pneumonia and staph infections, US researchers reported Wednesday.
The findings in the journal PLoS ONE are based on lab experiments using petri dishes and animals to test the protein complex called Human Alpha-lactalbumin Made Lethal to Tumor Cells, or HAMLET.
Researchers at the University of Buffalo found that the compound was able to increase the sensitivity of tough bacteria to antibiotics, reversing resistance and allowing a lower antibiotic dose when treating sick mice.
Penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, also known as MRSA, regained sensitivity to the antibiotics they were previously able to beat, the researchers said in a statement.
"HAMLET has the potential to minimize the concentrations of antibiotics we need to use to fight infections, and enable us to use well-established antibiotics against resistant strains again," said Anders Hakansson, lead researcher and a UB assistant professor of microbiology and immunology.
The protein complex was discovered while Hakansson was working in Catharina Svanborg's laboratory in Lund, Sweden.
It has been shown in previous studies to selectively kill both tumor cells and bacteria.
Scientists hope it can one day be used in humans, in combination with already existing antibiotics, to boost the fight against superbugs and drug resistant bacteria.
- Ukraine won't intervene in Crimea, president says
- Ukraine won't intervene in Crimea, referendum a 'sham': president
- Ukraine won't intervene in Crimea: president
- Bayern, Atletico ease into Champions League quarters
- Bayern advance, but Arsenal earn draw in Munich
- Costa double propels Atletico into the last eight
- SoftBank chief woos US, with T-Mobile in view
- Arsenal's Wenger rings changes for Bayern clash
- Balotelli leads Milan rescue mission in Madrid
- Bachelet returns to power in Chile pledging greater equality
- Malaysian authorities slammed for contradicting statements in search for MH370
- Crowdsourcing search for missing MH370 plane overloaded due to high traffic
- Flight MH370 sent engine data before vanishing, says magazine
- From patience to anger over MH370 search and rescue boo-boos
- Crowdsourcing search for missing plane is overloaded
- British bomber details failed plot against jet
- Anwar's sodomy appeal process, decision - another blight on judiciary
- CORRECTED: Malaysia Airlines mystery revives black-box debate
- Malaysian Airlines mystery revives black-box debate
- Anwar’s conviction boosts Malay support for Pakatan, says Dr Wan Azizah