Found: winning Spanish lottery ticket worth 4.7 mn euros
File picture shows a man holding up his lottery ticket during the draw for Spain's Christmas lottery in Madrid on December 22, 2011. Spanish officials on Tuesday were seeking the winner of a 4.7 million-euro ($6.3-million) lottery jackpot after the lucky ticket was found unclaimed.
The slip of paper turned up in La Coruna, northwestern Spain, the city's mayor said. Media reports said the vendor who sold it found it on his counter.
"It is a very unusual item. It is not a necklace or a wallet that has been lost, but a lottery ticket worth nearly five million euros," said mayor Carlos Negreira in a statement.
"I am going to be the only mayor in Spain who is looking for a millionaire not so as to ask for money but to give it."
The vendor handed the ticket, issued for a lottery draw in June 2012, back to the state lottery company.
After a year went by without it being claimed, the lottery reported it to La Coruna's city hall, which is legally charged with advertising lost property.
It posted an announcement on the lost and found section of its website on Monday, at the top of a list of mislaid mobile telephones and keys.
The city hall will "reliably" test the claim of anyone who comes forward for the winnings, Negreira said.
"If no one comes forward who meets the conditions in the next two years, the ticket will be handed to the person who found it."
- Rave on: Londoners re-live dancing days with kids in tow
- Alonso cheer, Raikkonen woe for Ferrari at Chinese grand prix
- Gunmen kill 20 in attack on South Sudan UN base
- Six Nepalese dead, six missing in Everest avalanche
- Six killed in Everest avalanche
- Japan to continue scientific whaling in Pacific: reports
- Japan will continue scientific whaling in Pacific: reports
- Philippines’ Easter crucifixons draw huge crowds
- US orange production hit by disease, juice prices soar
- Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- Court rejects evidence of defence experts in sodomy trial
- Barisan, Pakatan leaders pay respect, share anecdotes of Karpal
- Sub dives deeper in hunt for missing MH370
- Suaram hosts donation drive on 25th anniversary dinner
- MH370 search to be most costly ever at US$100 million, say analysts
- Zulkifli shoots back at Khairy in Twitter row
- Court finds Anwar’s defence on sodomy charge not credible
- MH370 search to be most costly ever at $100 mln: analysts
- Karpal’s car crashed into lorry, not the other way around, says Perak police
- Islamic followers will be divided if religion deviates, says Dr Mahathir