Found: winning Spanish lottery ticket worth 4.7 mn euros
File picture shows a man holding up his lottery ticket during the draw for Spain's Christmas lottery in Madrid on December 22, 2011. Spanish officials on Tuesday were seeking the winner of a 4.7 million-euro ($6.3-million) lottery jackpot after the lucky ticket was found unclaimed.
The slip of paper turned up in La Coruna, northwestern Spain, the city's mayor said. Media reports said the vendor who sold it found it on his counter.
"It is a very unusual item. It is not a necklace or a wallet that has been lost, but a lottery ticket worth nearly five million euros," said mayor Carlos Negreira in a statement.
"I am going to be the only mayor in Spain who is looking for a millionaire not so as to ask for money but to give it."
The vendor handed the ticket, issued for a lottery draw in June 2012, back to the state lottery company.
After a year went by without it being claimed, the lottery reported it to La Coruna's city hall, which is legally charged with advertising lost property.
It posted an announcement on the lost and found section of its website on Monday, at the top of a list of mislaid mobile telephones and keys.
The city hall will "reliably" test the claim of anyone who comes forward for the winnings, Negreira said.
"If no one comes forward who meets the conditions in the next two years, the ticket will be handed to the person who found it."
- Ukraine munitions factory hit after new peace plan adopted
- Afghan presidential rivals set to ink 'unity government' deal
- Afghan 'unity government' deal to be signed Sunday
- Albania tightens security ahead of pope visit
- Liverpool dealt shock Hammer blow
- Arsenal's quickfire treble stuns Villa
- NATO says Russian forces 'still inside Ukraine'
- Scots voted 'No' over economic worries
- Sierra Leone faces criticism over Ebola shutdown
- Munitions factory hit in Ukraine’;s Donetsk, buffer zone to be set up
- Exams Syndicate officials reassigned, not suspended, says ministry sec-gen
- Penang’s surplus budget not from sale of state land, says Guan Eng
- Amend Sedition Act first if repeal is delayed, says law expert
- Sedition Act enacted to protect non-Malays, claims Ibrahim Ali
- I could not follow PKR, DAP in Selangor MB issue, says Hadi
- The two sides of PAS
- Sarawak BN leader wants those who distort history charged with sedition
- Wan Azizah still PKR’s only choice for Selangor menteri besar
- Police interview lawyer Edmund Bon in sedition probe
- I’m not against Hadi, I helped him in GE13, says Mat Sabu