Found: winning Spanish lottery ticket worth 4.7 mn euros
File picture shows a man holding up his lottery ticket during the draw for Spain's Christmas lottery in Madrid on December 22, 2011. Spanish officials on Tuesday were seeking the winner of a 4.7 million-euro ($6.3-million) lottery jackpot after the lucky ticket was found unclaimed.
The slip of paper turned up in La Coruna, northwestern Spain, the city's mayor said. Media reports said the vendor who sold it found it on his counter.
"It is a very unusual item. It is not a necklace or a wallet that has been lost, but a lottery ticket worth nearly five million euros," said mayor Carlos Negreira in a statement.
"I am going to be the only mayor in Spain who is looking for a millionaire not so as to ask for money but to give it."
The vendor handed the ticket, issued for a lottery draw in June 2012, back to the state lottery company.
After a year went by without it being claimed, the lottery reported it to La Coruna's city hall, which is legally charged with advertising lost property.
It posted an announcement on the lost and found section of its website on Monday, at the top of a list of mislaid mobile telephones and keys.
The city hall will "reliably" test the claim of anyone who comes forward for the winnings, Negreira said.
"If no one comes forward who meets the conditions in the next two years, the ticket will be handed to the person who found it."
- Valverde wins second Fleche Wallonne Classic
- Palestinians pledge unity as Israel talks teeter
- Palestinians to 'form unity govt in weeks'
- Boeing lifts profit outlook as jetliner demand booms
- Sacked Moyes 'proud' of Man Utd tenure
- Turkish PM offers first condolences for Armenian massacre
- Turkish PM Erdogan says WWI massacre of Armenians 'shared pain'
- Turkish PM offers condolences over mass WWI killings of Armenians
- UN aid chiefs appeal for Syria access
- Mourners flock to funeral of Myanmar pro-democracy hero
- Bible banned from Pahang hotel rooms – Bernama
- Take second job to tackle household debt, urges AKPK – Bernama
- Philippines arrests extremist in Malaysia resort kidnapping
- Australia says cost not a concern in MH370 search
- Absolute power corrupts absolutely, Dr Mahathir reminds current leaders
- Cabinet approves international probe team for MH370
- MH370 search team analysing unidentified material washed ashore in Western Australia
- Karpal memorial service non-political event, says DAP inviting Najib, Muhyiddin
- 'Unidentified material' under investigation for MH370 link
- We have no jurisdiction over private hospital charges, says health minister – Bernama